PDA

View Full Version : Israelis and Palestinians: Why Do They Fight? Can They Stop?

andyfox
01-18-2004, 02:15 AM
A new book by Bernard Wassterstein in which he says that demographic, socio-economic, enbironmental, and territorial imperatives press down ever more heavily on the two progratonists and offer solid ground for expectation that the conflict can moe to peaceful resolution. Despite the current impasse and violence, little-noticed but fundamental changes are taking place that must compel both sides to reconfigure their relationship and move towards rapprochement.

It was a new look at the issues for me, and a quick and interesting read.

MMMMMM
01-18-2004, 03:56 AM
All well and good andy...but even if rapprochement is the best course of action for both sides due to multiple imperatives...do you think that is going to register with the suicide bombers and fanatics?

I don't think so. I believe the fanatical, suicidal militants been so thoroughly brainwashed in their cult that they have virtually no chance of ideological redemption. The young mother who recently killed herself said that she had been having dreams of being a shahid since she was thirteen! Pure cultism, and strong virulent memes at work. Once someone's mind is truly possessed by cultish thoughts and dreams, practical considerations go out the window forever in many cases. I sadly suspect that the current generation of up-and-coming suicide warriors will have to pass on before "the Palestinians" will act in peace towards Israel--if only because the true crazies will attack no matter what the PLO says or does. And there are by now a large number of suicidal Palestinian crazies, long possessed and indoctrinated by the cult.

andyfox
01-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Hey, you know I'm very pessimistic about the chances for any resolution to the problem in the foreseeable future. That's why this book was an eye-opener for me.

The author doesn't deny the deep-seated hatred on both sides, nor the horrible acts committed by horrible individuals, including leaders. But his thesis is that the facts on the ground will eventually, inexorably, triumph over extremism.