PDA

View Full Version : First Post - 2 Questions

juanez
01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
OK - first post on 2+2. I love this forum.

I've been playing for about 6 months now and reading books fiendishly. Unfortunately, my first book was Hellmuth's. I have since put that book in the bathroom for use when I run out of TP based on the posts on this forum. Sure lost a lot of dough trying to "find out where I was on the flop" when I was a total newbie. Currently reading "Inside the Poker Mind" (Feeney).

1) I started playing at Poker Stars, but now doing OK at $1/$2 at Ultimate Bet. I'm not quite there yet - still learning a lot and not making a profit, just barely even I guess. Is UB a decent site? I have seen Party Poker referenced my many in this forum. Is it a good site for a new guy like me?

2) A few posts I've read indicate that winning "one big bet per hour" is a good goal. Does that mean a profit of $2 per hour on a $1/$2 table? Seems that you would have to either play huge stakes or 25 hours a day at lower stakes to win any decent money. I figure I'm misunderstanding something here.

Please enlighten me - thanks!

balkii
01-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Pokerstars 1/2 games are very tight. I played there shortly to clear the bonus, and did not like it at all. Party Poker is a great site. Tons of fish. Read these forums and a couple 2+2 books and you will be winning in no time. Just be wary and be prepared for the seemingly endless suckouts, and realize that when people put a beat on you this is a good thing.

For a new player, 1 big bet an hour is a great goal. Yes playing a single table of 1/2 that means 2 dollars an hour. As your skill level increases, however, these games are soft enough that you should be able to beat them for ~2 BB/hr. If you play more than one table (don't do this yet) you can double or triple that rate.

Nobody gets rich playing 1/2 poker. But its a great place to build your bankroll. If you build it enough you can play 2/4. From there you can go to 3/6...etc. Learn the basics while its cheap, build up your roll, and go from there.

RustedCorpse
01-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Wow, ok, I thought it was one big pot an hour. I guess my play has been a little better than I thought. Thanks.

Stu Pidasso
01-18-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems that you would have to either play huge stakes or 25 hours a day at lower stakes to win any decent money. I figure I'm misunderstanding something here

[/ QUOTE ]

Of Poker someone once said that it was a hard way to make an easy living.

Stu