PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 Blind defence

08-31-2001, 12:21 PM
Average 6-12 game at the Mirage. I am in the 6 seat and have been mostly watching without playable hands for about 1-1.5 hours. The 10 seat has raised when UTG 5 of the last 6 times he has been there, but only made it to the river once on relatively benign boards in heads up situations. He makes a seat change immediately to my left. Mentally, I begin to prepare for his imminent raise of my BB from UTG.

Preflop

My first BB, UTG raises. I decide that I am going to pop this guy back with any 2 playable cards. All fold to me, I look down and see Qh 10s. I three bet. He looks at me in shock (remember, I haven't played many hands at all. This guy would have noticed this). He says "I was just trying to narrow the field, you weren't supposed to do that". He calls.

Flop

10h 8h 3h

I bet my top pair and queen high heart draw. He calls.

Turn Qs

I bet my top 2. He raises. I call.

River 5c.

I check and call.

Results and thoughts to follow.

Clark

08-31-2001, 12:48 PM
Yes I know I spelled it wrong.

On the turn, I pondered check raising, but I didn't want to lose a hand I could beat, and didn't want to call a re-raise.

On the river, I debated betting out, check calling and check raising. I am still really unsure which I should have done here. I think I should have bet out, because It is unlikely he would raise me without the nuts, and he might not bet a hand I could beat.

Anyways, he had KhKd for one pair and a bigger flush draw. I won and listened to him berate me for getting lucky for a minute or two.

He didn't raise UTG the rest of the night.

Clark

08-31-2001, 03:10 PM
Side note: He says "I was just trying to narrow the field, you weren't supposed to do that".

This immediately sounded fishy to me. He's explaining his play, and in the process expressing weakness? No way. If he's thinking about what he's saying enough use the phrase "narrow the field", then he's thinking enough to be acting.

09-01-2001, 05:43 AM
I don't think check/calling the river is the best way to go. Either bet or check-raise. I'm a fan of check-raising in these spots. If you get 3-bet after a check-raise here you have an easy fold. Since this is heads up your hand will be good at least 80-90% of the time and he'll probably pay you of like a slot machine.

A case can also be made for 3-betting the turn to protect your hand against a bare Ah or (as it turns out) Kh.

My reasoning may be skewed by the fact I'm playing mostly shorthanded. I dunno.

Sincerly, Andreas

09-03-2001, 09:36 PM
Interesting hand. But, it seems like you should have 3 bet the turn and bet the river assuming he did not 4 bet the turn.

09-03-2001, 09:39 PM
This tells me this UTG player is dumb. He had KK UTG, raises, loses and does not raise anymore? It does not add up. By the way, I would have raised your flop bet.

09-04-2001, 01:40 AM
Go 3 on the turn. I put him on AQ. Dn't live your life in fear of sets all the time ie QQ. Actually on second thoughts he might have slowplayed the flush on the flop and be slapping it on the turn, but again I put him on AQ. Be aggressive!

I'll read the results now!

Miles...So What?