PDA

View Full Version : 77 late position...adviced seeked

Garland
01-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Stakes: $9/$18
Players: Loose most of them

Hello all,

I just got done with a brutal session where I got bad cards/bad flops for about 12 hours. Now I'm down, like stuck about $1300 playing the last 40 hours or so. It makes me think "How does anyone actually make a living off this?". Believe me, I play very tight and aggressive poker against a lot of loose opponents, and things don't seem to click. I wonder how others cope with these dead periods. I don't succumb and play the crap cards, but I wonder how long this can last?? Anyhow, enough of the whining...on with the hand.

I'm in late position (LP) and am dealt 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. There is a limper in Midposition (MP) on my right, and I decide this is worth a play, but since there isn't enough limpers, I'm going to try my best to get it heads up or at worst 3-way. Anyhow, button decides to 3-bet, big blind (BB) stone calls, and MP decides to muck his hand. Fine mess I got myself into. The flop comes:

6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Wonderful. I got my set, but those damned diamonds are awful. I decide to bet into the raise hoping he has a big overpair and dislodge any (non-A) diamond draws out there. I really don't think I can do anything about anyone who has a straight draw. He indeed does raise, BB stonecalls, I reraise, button reraises me, BB decides to drop out, I reraise him again since it's now heads up and there are unlimited raises. He finally decides to just call.

Question #1: Who overplayed their hand if anyone?

Turn comes: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Sh*t. I'm thinking to myself. I check/call him thinking I need a pair to fill-up, but call him down anyway in case he doesn't have a diamond.

Question #2: Do you bet into him or check/call like I did?

River comes Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check call again.

All comments welcome and appreciated. Results below.

Garland

The results are below in white font. Highlight to read.
<font color="white"> Button shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif and takes it down with a higher set. Incidentally, MP told me he folded what would have been a straight. </font>

ML4L
01-17-2004, 10:38 PM

Rock Solid
01-17-2004, 11:11 PM
I think that you played it fine. It sounds like he has a big overpair that contains a diamond. On the turn, I believe that check/call is the only play. As far as the river is concerned, With the pot as big as it is I think you have to pay it off, but almost certainly you are giving away $18. The only thing you can beat at this point is AA with no diamond.

jen
01-18-2004, 02:54 AM
"I just got done with a brutal session where I got bad cards/bad flops for about 12 hours."

I thought I did marathon sessions but 12 hrs... wow, that's a long time.

I basically learned how to play cards in that LC 9-18 game. It's loose passive, and the people play straightforwardly. Good hand selection and aggressive play should beat that game in the long run. 72 BB is nothing to be concerned about.

PDosterM
01-18-2004, 03:49 PM
More important than your question of how you played was your musing, "I wonder how others cope with these dead periods."

Certainly playing twelve hour sessions is contraindicated. Nobody plays at their best after that long.

When I get into protracted even or down periods, I tend to go back and re-read one or two of the better books. I’m amazed at what I rediscover. But then I’m older than I should be. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Garland
01-18-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have left after 9 hours, but it was that darned "7AM-10AM aces cracked wins a rack ($300)" promotion that glued my butt to the chair. Have to get something in return for my jackpot buck...darned jackpot.

Garland

cero_z
01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi jen,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? I'll be in Tunica for the next week, and I guarantee I'll play at least two sessions of 16+ hours (with meal breaks). I can't be the only one who likes to play long hours.

And to Garland, you chose one of a few good ways to play this hand. I thought the raiser's most likely hand was an overpair with a diamond. With that hand, he might think he's a small favorite over you if you've got top pair + a draw, a smaller overpair, or whatever. As it was, he was drawing nearly dead. I'm surprised he didn't back off on the turn. He clearly didn't give you credit for much.

Garland
01-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi cero,

Thanks for your comments. I suspect that he sensed weakness when I didn't bet out on the 4th diamond. I don't think if I bet, he would have laid it down anyway.

Garland