PDA

View Full Version : KK in the SB

08-30-2001, 01:38 PM
PP - $0.50/$1. I get red KK in the small blind. MP, cutoff, and button call. I raise. (I considered checking. Any thoughts?) BB and all the rest call. Flop comes Td 7s 7c. I bet, BB and button call. Turn: 3s. I bet, figuring I'm going to keep firing until someone, say with a 7, raises. Only button calls. River brings the Ks, giving me the boat and leaving a 3 flush on the board. I bet, praying button hit his flush draw and will raise so I can reraise, but he just calls. I show my kings, and he mucks. (Turns out he did make his flush with Ts Qs). Was I too aggressive in continuing to bet? Should I have gone for a checkraise on the flop? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

08-30-2001, 03:20 PM
You have to raise in the SB with this hand. Get the most money in while you are (almost certainly) ahead. Even raise in the BB. You shouldn't try to check-raise the flop. You raised pre-flop from the SB, announcing you had a strong hand. Just bet. I think you played it fine all the way through. You CANNOT check the flop and let random aces have a free card.

Now, here is how I would have handled heat, but I would like other's opinions. If someone raised you on the flop, I would call, then bet out again on the turn. If they raise the turn you can fold. If they just call the turn you can bet the river too.

08-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Check-raising the flop is done as a function of the assertiveness of the other players. But since you raised out of the sb LOTS of players will suspect a big pair, and rightfully so (would you raise with AK?), so check-raising is not such a good option.

You should BET the river if the lone opponent will call with a stiff T if he has one. Otherwise, you might as well check-raise since the hands he'll call you with he may very well bet himself. Notice that the King on the river SHOULD affect his calling frequency, since surely you started with a premium hand and if you didn't already have a pair you probably just made one.

- Louie

08-30-2001, 10:29 PM
Often I wonder what goes through peoples heads when they play hands a certain way. Sometimes I see people play their hand in a "non-fluent way".

What am I am trying to say is that raising preflop and then checking the flop just doesn't seem right to me in almost all cases. If you have KK and the flop comes T77 and you check, we are assuming that a T bets here and you can check-raise? I think if you bet out a T will raise you anyway. I know I would if I flopped top pair v a preflop raiser. I think you have to bet out the flop here after raising preflop. If you get raised, 3 bet. Then if you get 4 bet, consider them having a 7. However, most players would smooth the 3 bet and raise on the turn. I know I would. So if you go 3 on the flop, and get smoothed on the flop then raised on the turn, you can be pretty sure he has a 7.

Thoughts on this?

"Now, here is how I would have handled heat, but I would like other's opinions. If someone raised you on the flop, I would call, then bet out again on the turn. If they raise the turn you can fold." This seems another example of non-fluent play. Can anyone else recommend this "smooth raise and bet out again"? I don't see where it is a good play. I mean even if someone raises you on the flop and you think they are doing it to buy a free card for the flush draw, whats the point of smoothing the raise and betting into them on the turn? Just go 3 on the flop and bet into them on the turn. Remain the aggressor until their betting indicates you should think otherwise.

Miles...So What.

08-31-2001, 01:20 PM
The reason I smooth call on the flop is because it's cheaper. I am way ahead of way behind. I won't be able to find out if he has trips until the turn anyway. If he caps the flop it will put me in an awkward situation. I like saving my money on the flop, then betting the turn to see if he still wants to raise.

08-31-2001, 09:31 PM
"If he caps the flop it will put me in an awkward situation. " How is being told "get out you are beaten" and awkward situation? Just check fold the turn if he bets. If you smooth flop raise and check turn into him, the thing is what if he checks behind on the turn? He may be a looser player who is raising with some pathetic draw, of even an Ace over card. Make them pay on the flop, as a lot of players are willing to pay the extra flop bet, but are more conservative on the turn. I will consider your view more thoroughly though, as I havent really sat down and thought about it much yet!

Miles... So What.