PDA

View Full Version : Preflop raise from BB

michfan
01-17-2004, 02:40 PM
When you limp preflop and the BB raises most people that are already in will call the extra bet. It makes me sick when the BB raises as I feel that I am already beat but have to put in the extra bet. If you do not have a read on the player what kind of hand do yo put him on?

bunky9590
01-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Depends on how many limpers and how aggressive the BB is.

After 4 limpers, I'll pop it with AJs, KQs, and big suited 1 gappers, Big pairs, Med pairs. AKs AKo, AQs, AQo. The list goes on. If there is less that four I'll pop it with lots of stuff.

Why, Simple. Get your money in with the best hand and take control of the pot. Lots of people will only raise out of the BB with monsters though.

Also keeps people from going after you when you are in the blind, fearing the raise.

chesspain
01-17-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you limp preflop and the BB raises most people that are already in will call the extra bet. It makes me sick when the BB raises as I feel that I am already beat but have to put in the extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't limp PF with any hand that cannot tolerate a raise. This is pretty standard advice to be following anyway.

Mike Gallo
01-17-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then don't limp PF with any hand that cannot tolerate a raise. This is pretty standard advice to be following anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic response. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

michfan
01-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Just because my hand can tolerate a raise does not mean that I like it when the BB does raise. I have tight starting hand requirements that I stick to. My general question was how to procede post flop when the BB raises. I tend to fold post flop more easily after a raise from the BB. This is probably because I only raise with group 1 hands from the BB as I do not like to put more money in preflop when I am out of position.

chesspain
01-17-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because my hand can tolerate a raise does not mean that I like it when the BB does raise. I have tight starting hand requirements that I stick to

[/ QUOTE ].

So what's the problem? In general, you should only be limping with any hands which play well multway, such as suited connectors, pocket pairs (if enough people have limped in front of you), and mid-to-high suited aces. If an openraise is coming from the BB, then generally everyone will call one more, meaning that your odds probably haven't worsened much, it at all.

[ QUOTE ]
My general question was how to procede post flop when the BB raises. I tend to fold post flop more easily after a raise from the BB. This is probably because I only raise with group 1 hands from the BB as I do not like to put more money in preflop when I am out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really too general a question to try to address, but I'ld say that you should be folding way more often than not when the flop misses you and the PF raiser comes out betting. Indeed, you need to evaluate how good your hand appears to be, and then play some poker.