PDA

View Full Version : when to muck?

08-30-2001, 01:30 PM
6-12 game, first in in early middle position. I raise with A10s. 4 callers behind me (all of them) as well as the blinds. flop comes: (7 players, 14 small bets)

KJ5 with two of my suit.

I bet out at the flop. two calls and a raise, button (B) makes it three, and I cap, since I don't think I'll lose any of the callers here. (5 players, 34 small bets = 17 big bets)

turn is an offsuit 7

Check to B who bets, I call, next who Cold called on the flop (CC) raises, button three bets, whoa!! I figure, I'm up against set over set here. do I call?

I figure I have the nut flush draw, but the first flop raiser (FFR) probably has a flush draw as well (worst case scenario for me) and was raising for value on the flop, and the two turn raisers were probably on big hands (two sets?). in this case, I was drawing at 5 clean flush outs (9 minus the two in the other player's hand minus the two that pair the board), and three nut straight outs. I also figure that B will likely cap it, so my effectve odds, considering that I'll get three calls at the end If I hit a clean out are 30-3. I have to call here.

the rest of the hand is irrelavant, and I think I answered my own question. Suck it up and put the money out, right?

Anyway, I missed, (the board paired the jack w/o a flush). the two aggressors went four bets on the river and Kings full of jacks (CC flopped a set of kings) beat out Jacks full of kings(B flopped top two). FFR mucked on the river, confirming that he was on a draw.

A couple of questions that I may already have the answers to:

1) if the board pairs with a spade, do I call?

I don't think so. I check, CC will likely bet, and B will raise, so I'll muck. I may call if my call closes the action and it's one bet to me, but I really won't like it. I may even muck here.

2) If the board comes with a clean flush card, check or check raise?

i think I like a check here. If my read is correct FFR has the flush also, he will bet if it is checked to him. I can then check raise. The thing about this situation is that CC almost has to have a set, since he didn't come alive until the turn, and slow playing it here is consistant with his play. B probably has a set, but could be out of line with top two (which he was). If I check, B will call FFR's bet with either hand, then I can raise and CC with the set will probably call two with his big hand. If I bet out and get raised by FFR, B will call two with a set, but maybe not with top two. also, CC will call my original bet with his set, but may muck when it comes back to him at three bets.

3) If the river comes with my straight what do I do?

I like betting out here. granted, the straight card is not as threatening as the flush card, since I would have to have exactly what I did to be there with the gutshot draw, but I think that I can get CC and B to call what ever bets are out there if an off suit Q comes.

08-30-2001, 02:19 PM
[0] If your read is correct, and it seems very reasonable, you have 8 outs for the nuts out of 40 unaccounted cards or are a paltry 4:1 to make it. Tieing is unlikely. You seem to be getting 30:3 or 10:1 from the pot. So for every $1 you call you are "earning" $2.5. I would not attach the phrase "suck it up" to that sort of wager. Even questioning that call is a very bad sign.

Heck, with 3 opponents even capping it yourself (when nobody else will) only costs pennies; which can easily be recooped in image advancement when you make it.

[1] Your read (someone had a set and now is full) looks good. Also, if they keep raising its a cinch. It would be an automatic fold of it paired K or J, but pairing 5s MAY intice you to call a single bet.

[2/3] After capping the flop you should lead bet when you make it, since you are SURE to get raised at least once. Check-raising will give-away your hand and you can expect no more raising. Thus, betting insures 1 bet (unlikely) and encourages 3-bets (likely), whereas checking insures no bets (unlikely) and encourages only 2-bets (likely), but may result in 4-bets (unlikely). This is differenent than had you simply called all flop bets.

You can answer this question for yourself if you view the hand from the opponent's perspective, trying to figure out what YOU have.

- Louie