PDA

View Full Version : Best way to win this pot?

Noodles
01-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed).The guy I am against is the same as in my last post a tricky good player.
Noodles has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is UTG

MP1 raises, Button calls, SB folds, Noodles calls(should i have mucked this?)

Flop(6 SB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Noodles bets, MP1 raises, Button folds, Noodles calls.
At this stage i am thinking the guy has an Ace better kicker than me as my bet into a PFR should make him think i have an ace.But he could have a good pair aswell.Probably

Turn(8 BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
When the spade fell it went into my mind to try a CR semi- bluff (if that is what this is /images/graemlins/wink.gifnever really tried one before but as this player is ok then there is a good chance he may suspect a flush and fold and also maybe my hand is best

Noodles checks, MP1 bets, Noodles raises, MP1 folds.

Was this a good time to try this or did i really have the best hand all along?

Noodles
01-18-2004, 10:05 AM
And it should be
Noodles has A, T and is BB

Trix
01-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Think i would have mucked...

chesspain
01-18-2004, 10:29 AM
PF: I would have mucked this. If UTG has reasonable raising standards, you are either up against a premium pair or a better ace. If it's the former, you need to spike an ace on the flop. If it's the latter, you need to spike a T. The odds are 1 in 5 for each scenario, and the pot is laying you 5:1, but unfortunately, you don't know which sceanrio you are in and you are out of position--guessing wrong will usually cost you more money than you'll win.

Flop: See above for comments about not knowing where you stand. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Turn: I like this play, although I don't know if I would have tried this myself. Since you only called PF and you bet out on the flop, you certainly look like you could have two spades. The fact that you still have a decent spade gives you outs in the event that he doesn't fold. In addition, the c/r here may get you a free showdown, while giving you the chance to take the pot immediately.

BugsBunny
01-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Even from the BB I probably muck this hand, based on your description of MP1. If he was playing from MP3 or later then I probably call.

Other than that I think you played it fine. And yes, that was a very good time for a semi-bluff c/r (and you may have been ahead the whole time - his raise on the flop may have been a test to see if you really had an A)