PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys as my coup de grace

DetroitFan
01-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Just returned from a much-shorter-than-anticipated trip to Taj (and it ain't in the neighborhood).

Playing 5-10 game;about as tight-aggressive as a table can be at 5-10; been there about 45 minutes, but no real good read on BB (combination of my player-reading skills and tiredness) other than he hasn't done anything crazy (read: not too loose and definitely no maniac).

I get KK in cutoff. EP and MP limper to me. I raise. Both blinds call, as well as other two limpers. 5 to the flop.

(10 SB's) Flop is Q56 (rainbow). Checked to me; I bet; SB folds; BB raises; folded back to me; I re-raise; BB caps. Heads-up to turn.

(9BB's) Turn is a 10 (completes rainbow, I believe). BB bets; I call.

(11 BB's) River is another 6. BB bets; I call.

1) Re-raise on flop okay?
2) Should I fold turn?
3) Can I possibly fold river if I called the turn?

Obviously first time poster. Please rip-away at my hold'em play, but I ask you to take it easy on me w/ reference to my moniker--we Detroit fans have already been abused enough for one life time by just being Detroit fans.

I thank you in advance for the responses. I will respond to responses (obviously not a writer by profession, either) after walking the dogs and some much-needed sleep.

--DetroitFan

chesspain
01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Once it's folded back to me on the flop heads-up, I see no point in reraising, unless you are using this raise for information, which you undoubtedly were not, since you did not fold even though he was telling you that he could beat a premium pair.

Indeed, I think that whenever a player in the BB goes crazy on the flop like this, it's a good assumption that he has caught at least two-pair, which means that you are likely drawing pretty thin. So either three-bet and then fold to a cap, or simply call it down if you think he might be getting jumpy with something like AQ.

ZAC
01-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Re-raising on the flop on a raggedy board especially with a big overpair is standard in my book. You could be behind to a flopped two pairs or, worse, a set. Heads up, I will not fold the turn either. Hopefully, you counterfeited him on the river. And even if you lose, this is one instance when you can get info about your opponents. I think your play was fine.

jrobb83
01-17-2004, 02:58 PM
I get real nervous when a sane BB check-raises me in that situation. But he would probably check-raise with top-pair, so re-raising here is correct. When its capped, I figure I'm behind. I'll probably call one last SB just to see the turn card, but will likely fold to a bet if I don't really like the turn. He may cap there with AQ, but I'll still give him the pot because most of the time I will be behind. Once you've called the turn, calling the river bet is easy, even though the only hands he could have that you beat are AQ, Q5, and QT (kinda unlikely, though), but I believe the pot is large enough to call here.

Bob T.
01-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Detroit fan.

At least you got the wings /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I would have probably played the hand the same way. Although since it is headsup, I might have called the checkraise, and then tried to raise on a later street.

After you three bet the flop, it is a little curious, that your opponent didn't smoothcall (as if he had top pair) and then checkraise the turn or river, which would have likely got him one more bet. Unless you know the player very well, I don't think you can fold here.

CrackerZack
01-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Your line or the line Bob mentions are both fine.

Guess he turned over Q6 or some other crap or this wouldn't be here.

DetroitFan
01-18-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum Detroit fan.

At least you got the wings /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I would have probably played the hand the same way. Although since it is headsup, I might have called the checkraise, and then tried to raise on a later street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank my lucky stars everyday for the Red Wings.

Bob, if you just call the check-raise; then assume he bets on turn and I raise and he re-raises--would you always fold at this point?

DetroitFan
01-18-2004, 01:58 PM
He had a pair of 5's for a flopped set; I never had a chance.

Thanks for all the responses.
--DetroitFan