PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Sale To Harrah's No Sure Thing

Bill Murphy
01-17-2004, 04:56 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2grbg

The woman is mindboggling. And I was just starting to cut her some slack after she whined in another column about Ted's 5K chip scam costing her $5mil.

Note how it looks like some employees will be getting screwed.

Clarkmeister
01-17-2004, 05:05 AM
She won't get anywhere near that price from anyone else.

Ted Geisel
01-17-2004, 05:10 AM
"Note how it looks like some employees will be getting screwed. "

Gee, maybe the dealers SHOULD have joined a union when they had the chance. Perhaps they saved money by banking their tokes and not paying union dues....

Even though Nevada is a Right-to-Work for no money state,
the truth is they WILL get paid in the end, so stop posturing as a friend of the working man.

slamdunkpro
01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gee, maybe the dealers SHOULD have joined a union when they had the chance. Perhaps they saved money by banking their tokes and not paying union dues....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, wasn't it the union that forced the closing in the first place by demanding a lump sum payment from Binion's?

Seems to me that all these out of work Binion's people should be singing "look for the union lable" as they wait in the welfare line.

George Rice
01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait a minute, wasn't it the union that forced the closing in the first place by demanding a lump sum payment from Binion's?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could the union do that unless they were owed the money? Am I missing something here?

Ted Geisel
01-17-2004, 06:53 PM
The Horseshoe had a contract where they agreed to provide benefits to employees in return for work performed. The Horseshoe received the work and refused to pay for it. The benefits fund went to court, won, sought a payment schedule, which the Horseashoe failed to meet, and eventually sought to collect for work already done and benefits already provided by other more honest employers' contributions.

No, I do not think you are missing anything.

Ted

Bill Murphy
01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
It's insanity. She signs on the dotted line, she gets $3-5KK, and all of it goes away, at least from her prespective.

Smells like someone is whispering in her ear that she can gouge more out of Harrah's by threatening to file bankruptcy. Wouldn't count on it. I know Harrah's doesn't want to deal w/a bankruptcy, but the judge would likely be pissed at her for turning down a legitimate offer, and Harrah's is holding all the cards. They want the name and they know they'll get it eventually. Big corps can't be bullied or threatened with having their picture pried off the wall with a crowbar.

Becky's got no outs here. Take the damn money and go away.

Funniest thing in the article was how someone called her an entrepeneur! And to be fair, she claims it was $10KK Ted's chip scam cost her, not 5.