PDA

View Full Version : Limped KK from the BB. OK here?

MattHatter
01-17-2004, 04:50 AM
3/6

New to table, no reads but players probably not that relevant to my question.

K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB

5 limpers, SB folds and I check?

Here what I was thinking. With this many ppl in I probably won't fold anyone with my raise. If I hit the flop with 12.5 SB in the pot and bet it out from 1st position they all get odds to draw to almost anything /images/graemlins/confused.gif so in this position with this many limpers I decide to see the flop cheap and check raise it if it looks nice.

6.5 SB pot
FLOP:7 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, EP1 & EP2 check MP1 checks, MP2 bets Button raises.
I raise to make it 3 to see the turn.
Everyone folds but the button.

13.5 SB pot
TURN: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, button calls. Here I would fold to a raise without knowledge of the player.

approx 9BB pot
RIVER: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, Button calls. I win. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So it worked.. but am I making a mistake by limping in here?

bicyclekick
01-17-2004, 05:47 AM
I don't know, I see your reasoning but don't agree with it much at all on this one. KK is making money on almost everyone the more money you put in pre-flop. So they are getting more correct odds, big hairy deal, you're getting way more money in the long run.

I wouln'dt ever do it...but I will limp utg with AA or KK from time to time at an aggressive table...

crockpot
01-17-2004, 05:58 AM
i think you're giving up too much in EV to check kings here. with jacks, however, i would definitely check, and with another limper or two i might check queens as well.

balkii
01-17-2004, 06:04 AM
No. Always raise KK pre-flop, in any position, against any number of limpers, or raisers.

In your post you used the phrase "see the flop cheaply." You have KK. the limpers have squat. Its them who want to see the flop cheaply, not you. That whole bit about giving them the odds to draw just doesnt matter when there are already 7 players in the pot. they are gonna call, they are gonna suck out sometimes. Sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly but the fact of the matter is is you are going to win this pot waaaaaay more often than any of them, so you might as well get them to donate you some chips while you have the best of it.

post flop, looks good. I dont think i would fold to a turn raise, however. I think thats a little weak-tight, although i am a bit of a calling station. Probably best to just call down if you get raised there.

arfsananto
01-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Crockpot, why would you check Jacks here; is it for the reason given for checking the Kings?
Thanks

bunky9590
01-17-2004, 11:58 AM
The only way I check KK there is if Captain Weak Tight was sitting there with a gun to my head and telling me he'll shoot me if I raised!

Even then I'd point to the sky and say, "OOOOH LOOK! The Hindenburg!" When he looked up, I'd freakin raise ANYWAY!.

butters
01-17-2004, 12:16 PM
with a bunch of limpers, if an overcard or two hit on the flop, jacks aren't going to have much value, especially out of position. look to see the flop cheaply and play for the set here.

ElSapo
01-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I'd raise the jacks also, for the same reason you said for the kings. The limpers have squat.

Mike Gallo
01-17-2004, 01:10 PM
So it worked.. but am I making a mistake by limping in here?
Yes and you will also cost yourself money in the long run.Raise.

Punish them for playing any two cards. Most players at these limits will not even put you on a hand.