PDA

View Full Version : Still confused...what do i do??

Gahnia radula
01-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Live 4/8 HE, 9 handed

Im in BB with 53o, 4 limpers SB completes

flop comes 6s 5s 3s

SB bets

I called, should i have raised with 4 limpers behind me.

I dont like my chances of knocking out a flush draw or even a straight draw, not to mention a flush may already be out

everyone behind me folds...dohhhh!!!

Turn 4BB in the pot

[ 6s 5s 3s ] 7h

SB bets.....i fold

let me have it

CrackerZack
01-17-2004, 01:35 AM
Raise the flop. Turn is read dependent, if you're behind to a straight/flush you're drawing thin. Pot isn't big. Fold isn't horrendous. Raise the flop though.

umdpoker
01-17-2004, 01:37 AM
raise the damn flop! if he re-raises, call him and hope for a house. if i didn't know the player, i would go into check call mode. if i knew he had to have the flush to bet like that, i would consider folding depending on how big the pot is. also, is he the kind of idiot that would cap the river if you hit your house? a lot of things to consider.

MarkD
01-17-2004, 04:26 AM
Raising the flop is not automatic here. I can see a lot of value in just calling the bet.

Now the turn... you can not fold here. I lean towards raising. Calling is not all that bad of play.

I think many players overplay there hands, there are times when calling is correct. In this case calling gives our hero a cheap look at the turn. He keeps the pot smaller thus, when he raises on the turn he can punish his opponents much more then on the flop. Not to mention that if another spade hits on the turn he can get away cheap (against multiple opponents it would be pretty easy to fold the turn IMO - but again not automatic).

MarkD
01-17-2004, 04:28 AM
I argue that raising the flop isn't such a clear cut play. I might lean towards calling in his spot. It gives him a lot of flexibility and freedom in the play of his.

Conversely, folding the turn is horendous IMO.

CrackerZack
01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
If he's holding an overpair, I'd agree with you, but with 2 pair he's not gonna be drawing dead so I think raising is the best move. If you don't agree with folding on the turn, why do you disagree with raising? You don't want him to fold, but if you call the turn and its the 4th spade, do you want him to fold then?

anatta
01-17-2004, 05:04 AM
I would plan on showing this hand down barring another flush card or the board pairing high. Just calling your opponent down is an option. He could be betting the lone As or Ks or some pair. Let him keep betting all the way to the river if he wants. Raising the flop is probably a good play. Planning on just calling the flop and raising the turn is a good aggressive plan, but once everyone folds on the flop (which you should make you happy), raising the turn loses some of its value.

So any line you chose I think has merit, except folding. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MarkD
01-17-2004, 02:34 PM
No, head's up on the turn he should be thinking about seeing a showdown. At this point he has one opponent with no clear read on the players hand. If I was the better I could have as little as a dry King of spades. I would debate raising the turn and checking the river or just calling both the turn and river.

What do you intend to accomplish by raising the flop? Thin the field? Not likely with that flop. Punish draws? You can accomplish that much better on the turn. Figure out where you stand? If everyone calls, you still dont' know if you have the best hand or not.

On this hand the flop is not the nexus of the hand, the turn is. IMO you should make your play on the turn, granted the 7 was a pretty bad turn card but still, the flop isn't the place to act IMO.

Mike
01-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I am in favor of either raising the flop or folding. Your hand is about as good as it is going to get as a full house is longer odds compared to the number of players and the board. Better odds are with the flush and straight draw so if you can't get them out at least make them pay for the opportunity to out draw you. Raising the flop you may get a made hand to reraise you and you can fold without guessing.