PDA

View Full Version : HEPAP loose games chapter

jdl22
01-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I was wondering what general thoughts people had regarding the loose games section in HEPAP. It seems a little unorthodox, but seems fairly sound also. I have only read this section once and don't have the text with me but here are some of the ideas I remember:
1. Suited cards go way up in value preflop
2. Don't raise with as many hands preflop, the calling stations will pay you off plenty later if don't raise and if you don't hit the flop you can get out with less lost investment.
3. Against horrible players that call any draws it may be better to keep the pot small so that their strategy is farther from proper play.
4. When the pot is huge do whatever the hell you can to get it. Don't worry about losing a few bets. Do unorthodox things if necesary such as giving a free/cheap turn card so that you can wait until the bets double to drive people out (this is the first time I've ever read any strategy to combat all the suckouts).

The only thing I'm not sure about is 3. I will try to make some calculations but my intuition is telling me that if I am favored and someone will call anyway it's better to get more money in even if that makes his calls correct. The fourth point is Majorkong's crusade and has been echoed by many here (although I've never read anybody say to wait until the turn).

chesspain
01-16-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what general thoughts people had regarding the loose games section in HEPAP. It seems a little unorthodox, but seems fairly sound also...

3. Against horrible players that call any draws it may be better to keep the pot small so that their strategy is farther from proper play.
4. When the pot is huge do whatever the hell you can to get it. Don't worry about losing a few bets. Do unorthodox things if necesary such as giving a free/cheap turn card so that you can wait until the bets double to drive people out (this is the first time I've ever read any strategy to combat all the suckouts).

The only thing I'm not sure about is 3. I will try to make some calculations but my intuition is telling me that if I am favored and someone will call anyway it's better to get more money in even if that makes his calls correct. The fourth point is Majorkong's crusade and has been echoed by many here (although I've never read anybody say to wait until the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read the evergrowing thread entitled "Checking the flop through with AA."

bernie
01-16-2004, 09:49 PM
i've made alot of money with that section of the book. it's great.

point 3: depending on your hand, you're giving up a little EV preflop to gain it back post flop. keeping the pot small means more technical mistakes can be made by chasers who would be calling correctly if the pot is bigger.

awhile back there were many posts about waiting for the turn. this is a real fun concept to try and experiment with. though nowadays i've seen it greatly overused/misused

b