PDA

View Full Version : It's a trap!

Ric
01-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Not quite sure of the specifics of this hand, but what counts is up there. Party .50/1, pretty typical game.

Dealt AKo in LP
1 or 2 limpers, I raise, all call incl. button SB and BB
Flop: JKJ (one /images/graemlins/heart.gif)
Checked to me, I bet, button and SB call (i think)
Turn: another /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked to me, I bet, SB calls
River: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
He checks, I bet, he raises, I think 'oh [censored]' and call.

Results: <font color="white"> He had J8o and took it. Should I have checked the river as well? I just thought he had a K or a low PP, due to his play. If i recall right, he thought a bit before checking on the river, should I have caught it and checked behind? Probably just one more thing I need to learn.</font>

bdk3clash
01-16-2004, 06:34 PM
http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e5tomase/ackbar.jpg

"It's a trap!"

Seriously, though, bet this one for sure--against the typical Party LL player, they will call down with a range of hands, most of which you beat.

Call the raise, but don't like it. Make a note on this player about this play. Next hand.

DeuceKicker
01-17-2004, 04:44 AM
It's been my experience that most players who hesitate before checking are NOT going to check-raise.

They either a) want you to think that they're *just* on the verge of a bet to scare you into checking so they get a free showdown, or; b) they went to grab another brewski to go with their sammich and were late getting back to the keyboard.

Then again, with a paired flop, his actions make sense, also. He wanted to check-raise you (should have done it on the turn) but was scared of the flush draw beating his trips. He figured your pre-flop raise could mean AK/AQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif and decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Either way, not much you can do. You bet until he told you you were beat, then made the crying call.

GuyOnTilt
01-17-2004, 08:31 AM
You played the hand fine.

GoT