PDA

View Full Version : Slowplayed AA UTG on a tight table, mistake

Hallett
01-16-2004, 02:52 PM
6/12 game at my local B&M. Table is tight, with lots of respect for raises pre-flop. Raises usually have only one or two callers, and sometimes none. Lots of hands being chopped pre-flop, as only the blinds are still in.

Dealt AA UTG, and decide to slowplay, as the table is tight, and I will likely only get $9 in blinds if I raise.

All fold to middle position guy, who decides to stays in with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, (I thought it was tight! /images/graemlins/mad.gif) pairs both on the flop, and takes it down. This was a surprise, as I have played with the opponent many times, and he usually plays better cards than this. K-9 or K-T maybe, but not K-8.

If you are UTG with AA on a tight table, is there any conceivable merit to slowplay? Here of course, I lost a fair chunk of change, and the alternative of likely winning only $9 seems rather attractive right now..

Mike Gallo
01-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Hallet,

If you think a limp position player will raise in order to isolate you, then by all means limp reraise.

However if limping will bring more limping, then raise.

biggambler
01-16-2004, 03:29 PM
There are times when everyone respects my raises too much and everyone folds prefold too often. When this happens I have no problem limping in with AA. However, when I do this I never complain if someone runs me down later. I know what I did and why I did it. <font color="red"> If it turns out bad, so be it. </font>

Hallett
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
However, when I do this I never complain if someone runs me down later. I know what I did and why I did it. If it turns out bad, so be it.

This is pretty much what I thougth at the time, as I let the winner into the pot when I didn't raise. I don't blame him for calling with a goofy hand, I blame myself for letting him in. It was a calculated decision, and went against me. Too bad.

If your raises are being 'overrespected', do you notch down your raising standards while UTG? If so, how low?

Mike Gallo
01-16-2004, 03:42 PM
If your raises are being 'overrespected', do you notch down your raising standards while UTG? If so, how low?

Keep raising until they call you down. Steal with impunity.

biggambler
01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Believe or not, I once rasied preflop 7 hands in a row and won the blinds everytime except the last one. I kept saying to the dealer, "This is fun, I bet and everyone folds."

Hallett
01-16-2004, 03:46 PM

Aces McGee
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your raises are being 'overrespected', do you notch down your raising standards while UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is a much better idea than slowplaying your big hands preflop.

McGee

chesspain
01-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Anyone who I saw slowplaying AA preflop in a typical ring game would receive the following table note:

"...has mastered the subtle art of slowplaying and sucking at the same time."

TripDuck
01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
The only time that I have ever slow played aces is on a Tuesday afternoon at my local card club. If aces get cracked then, you get $75 (2/4 hold'em makes the $75 worth it) and all you have to do is stay in the hand.

My guess is that the K 8 off guy was getting bored with folding every hand. It happens if you have been folding a lot.

Hallett
01-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Anyone who made that note on me would then have faulty notes, as this is something I have done maybe 1 time in the last 75 times I have had AA, I tried it for a specific reason that did not work, and am smart enough to not try again.

I would bet my notes on the guy holding K-8o would be more valuable.