PDA

View Full Version : Check-raise or Fold?

08-28-2001, 03:00 AM
Mandalay Bay, 4-8 HE, 1-2 blinds, a couple of loose players to my right, a few rocks/solid players to my left. A really aggressive player 4 to my right, who raises about 30% of the time preflop to $6 (he bought in twice for I think $100, and lost it all each time, though he went through huge swings up and down).

I'm playing the big blind, and look down and see two black Kings. One or two limpers, and then MP raises to $6, three more cold callers behind him. I call in the big blind (I considered re-raising, would this have been a better move?). Flop comes AAx. SB checks, I check, MP bets, all fold to me, I fold. Should I have check-raised?

I figure I might be ahead, but if I check-raised, he could call me down and raise me on the river, costing me a lot. Plus he may call me with QQ/JJ, and I'd be forced to check the turn. Also, I figure there'd be other chances to make money. Thanks!

- Tony

08-28-2001, 03:03 AM
BTW, forgot to mention, MP preflop raiser was to the right of the aggressive player, so I put him on a legitimate hand.

08-28-2001, 10:39 AM
Interesting question. A reraise on the flop would be a standard play, but slowplaying in the blind is something I'll do from time to time (since most players assume the blinds always get dealt trash.) I probably would have bet out on the flop to see who's willing to stick around. This kind of bluff doesn't cost much, and since you're betting into several players with two Aces on the board, only someone with the Ace or a good drawing hand will stay. If the MP raised my bet, I could most likely fold with a clear conscience. In your position, it's hard to put the MP on a hand....he could have the Ace, but many players with the Ace on an A A x flop would wait until the turn to bet it (any apparent draws on the board?) Since no one else is willing to stick around, I don't think you're getting enough action to take on a possible Ace. And he's got position on you, which makes things tougher (checking on the turn, etc.) A checkraise would just cost you more money and tie you to a losing hand if he has the Ace (he would probably call the extra bet, and he could reraise you if he's got the Ace.) I think you did the right thing by folding and waiting for better hands.

08-28-2001, 11:58 AM
Free cards are not much of an issue. There are no hands less than KK that are lagitamately drawing to beat KK. You therefore have little reason to want the players to your right out. You don't mind the opponent with QQ and 2 outs getting to the river with you.

2 aces on board is better than 1, since there is one less Ace available for the other players.

You should raise if you are confident this will be the last money you will need to invest. You should call once if the opponent will bet the turn only with an Ace. You should call him down if he's real assertive. Fold only if he MUST have an Ace to bet on the flop.

- Louie

08-28-2001, 07:45 PM
I think next time you're in a position like this, you should reraise preflop for value and also for another important reason!

When the flop came AAx you could now bet the flop (representing a AK-AJ) and see who sticks around. Most people will feel more inclined to put you on AK or AQ since you did raise preflop, and thus fold. If you get a raise from a tight player, fold. If you get a raise from the maniac you described however, call and check to the end to see if he's got it. If you get 3 or more callers after you bet the flop I think it's also safe to assume one of them has an Ace with a low kicker, and you can safely check/fold the turn.

08-29-2001, 03:53 AM
Tony,

I think you should add a "weak" call to your list of options if your opponent will stop firing on this flop without an ace but will bet QQ or lower pairs on the flop. If he will keep firing, you have to checkraise or fold to find out where he is at. If he is tricky, I have no advice.

Mike