PDA

View Full Version : check-raising on the flop from the blinds

ProfLupin
01-16-2004, 01:14 PM
I had lots of interesting situations pop up in the last hour, so I'm taking a break to post a few hands. I decided a week ago to move down to .50/1.00 and really work on some leaks before moving back to 2/4 or 3/6. It's going well so far...up about 100BB.

Anyways here is a situation that comes up fairly often. You get a free look at the flop from the BB with a decent hand and you flop top pair good (not great) kicker. Do you bet out into a field of seven? Does that really give you information? I've been experimenting with check-raising in these situations and this one turned into a check-fold. Please critique!

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
ProfLupin has K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is BB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, EP2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps, Button limps, SB limps, ProfLupin checks

Flop(9 SB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, ProfLupin checks, UTG bets, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, ProfLupin folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, EP2 folds, MP1 calls

I figured the bet and raise followed by a cold call was enough information for me to get out. Too weak/tight?

Turn(14 BB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP1 folds

River(18 BB): 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks

Results after some discussion.

Jezebel
01-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Looks like a prudent fold to me. When the action gets back to you, you have odds of 17:2 which is not enough for me to chase my 5 outer on a two tone flop against this many opponents.

Checkraising vulnerable hands out of the blinds against a large field is my standard operating procedure. Espcially at party where flops rarely get checked all the way through on the flop and the button is the type of player to open the flop betting with anything.

Sandwich
01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
sorry if this question shows my ignorance, but can someone tell me how this is a 5 outer?

Obviously there are two Kings not showing that will give you top set. Sure there are three tens out there that will give you two pair Kings and Tens, but with a flop that includes a Jack, and a bet and raise and call postflop, I would put one of my three opponents on KKJJ.