PDA

View Full Version : Hourly Rate in No Limit?

2DAXTRM (Jeff)
01-16-2004, 03:05 AM
Hi, this is my first time posting. They say in limit poker a good player should make about 2 big bets per hour. How many big bets per hour should a good no-limit player make? How much higher should this amount be in a low stakes game, such as the $25 NL tables on PartyPoker? Thanks.

crockpot
01-16-2004, 07:22 AM
this question has been posed many times and there is no definite answer. it's partially because the variance of the game is so high, but also because so much of your profit depends on finding an idiot at your table who is willing to lose his entire stack on a ridiculous hand. you only encounter these idiots so often, and only occasionally do you get to personally benefit from their stupidity.

drudman
01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
For what it's worth I average 7.5 BB/hr at NL25 on party, which has remained steady for several thousand hands now.

theBruiser500
01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
I earn about $1,000,000 an hour per table. Often I'll play a few tables at the same time, I'm up about $2,000,000,000 since I've started playing on partypoker.

danny

square444
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah but you play at the .25/.50 tables. If you play at the 100/200 tables you can usually average $40-$50 billion per table per hour.

Scott_Baio
01-16-2004, 03:08 PM
well, the $25nl and pl games on party are so loose, the blinds end up being a small fraction of the betting. There are a lot of all-ins with just top pair vs flush draw, etc. So the guy who says he is making 7 bb/hour sounds fine to me, keep in mind at the $25pl game that's only $3.5 an hour.

Personally, I play two tables and average around $7 or 8 an hour (i mention the two tables because usually your per table average goes down slightly with each additional table)

However, my winning session usually add up to $20 an hour, the $8 is after factoring in losing/breaking even sessions. Hope that helps.

gliam
01-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I have been wondering about this myself, seems there are so many variables that its difficult to pin it down.

Interestingly enough pokertracker tracks it in terms of BB/100 hands, BB being Big Bet not Big Blind, even for NL. So thats $1 for the .25/.50 (party $25), I play mostly $1/2 so a BB would be $4. After over 30K hands at the $1/2 pokertracker claims that my rate is about 12 BB/100 hands, playing at 3 tables at once. I get about 160 hands per hour playing 3 tables which equates to $76/hr ($25/hr, per table), But that depends on a lot of things, and I think is most dependent on the fact that this is Party, as I don't think I am really good enough to make $76/hr (without Party) playing poker, yet.

I have only a few months experience, and I still make mistakes every session.

The only thing I am sure of is PartyPoker.com is a gold mine.

theBruiser500
01-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I never make mistakes.

danny

goodguy_1
01-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Crock you sound like a break-even player at best with that kind of mumbo-jumbo..get real!!

NL is the best game to play for consistent income.

Good to great
NL players should be making 5-10 even 15 times the
big blinds per hour per table per hour.I think 5-10 is reasonable but with Party Poker close to or near a blowoff top(note stock chart parlance) in its
popularity..the games are very very good so thats
where the 15 number comes in.

You need to be game selective in any game you choose whether limit or no limit whatever stakes obvioulsy less selective the lower you play but still you paint the picture the earn rates are based solely on having one or two fish in your game...this isnt so.If you play well you just need to play better than most of the table...you dont necesaary have to have mutants at atble to have a solid earn...it sure helps.

Now if you jump up and play $200 NL any higher games..sure having one or two mutants is much more important when the lineup is 60-80% solid players vs. say 40-60% solid players at the lower levels.

Many limit players cant/dont make the transition to NL from Limit ..you need much better card-
reading skills and balls to excel..but if you have them NL far surpasses Limit as the game to play for day-in day out pro.s. If the games dry up ..you go back and play Limit-where the fish dont get punished like they should..

Do a search thats whats its here for:

btw as i noted in my previous post i guessed my $50 earn was little high and yes in the last 100 or so hours itscome down about a buck an hour..I have noticed that in general..play is less loose and I'm not always getting paid off as much...but this is to be expected..games evolve degrade..whatver.Party games may not be great forever /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Hourly earn (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=461887&Fo rum=plnlpoker&Words=hourly%20earn&Match=Entire%20P hrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=45962 4&Search=true#Post461887)

crockpot
01-17-2004, 09:02 PM
part of the reason i posted this is that even though NL at party is more profitable than at most other sites, it is less of a grind and more of a 'push 'em in and hope you win' game. thus, even though you can be sure you're a winning player, it's hard to measure how fast you're winning because your swings will be so high. to get an accurate measurement would require a LOT of record-keeping and hours played.

hopefully you didn't interpret my last post as saying the games couldn't be beaten, because i know damn well they can be.

what's weird is that the party PLO8 games are the exact opposite. at most other sites my game plan is to get paid off on a big two-way hand. at party i rely almost exclusively on stealing pots.

goodguy_1
01-17-2004, 11:08 PM
good points... all true Crock..with small stack sizes at Party I lose my stack 2-4 times a day .Once or twice even on good days and 3-4 times on chitty days on average.
I'd say 300-500 hours would give you a decent ideal of your play
at multi tables ..anyone can do that in month or so quite easily with determination.

arkose
01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
first time poster myself...been semi-following the forums for a month or two

i started on UB with play money in early october with no previous HE experience, and i have played strictly NL from the beginning...i guess you could say my 'inspiration' was the Harper's article by James McManus about the WSOP (http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/1807_301/68018764/print.jhtml)...

since then i've bought TOP and read hellmuth and positively fifth street, and progressed from play money to .01/.02 to .10/.25 to .25/.50 to .50/1...my reasoning for a progressive moveup being that i don't have a lot of money, and i still have university debt to pay off, so i wanted to build my bankroll from the ground up...and so far, my $25 buy in on UB is now worth $1411.85, and seems to be increasing almost exponentially with more experience and higher stakes

anyways, about hourly rate...for starters, it sounds like UB is probably a tougher site than Party, but since i haven't played Party, i can't really comment on that...i also cant give pokertracker numbers, which are probably the most accurate, because i only started using it a few days ago

but based on my www.pokercharts.com (http://www.pokercharts.com) info, using an approximate Hours Played (although i think its probably fairly accurate), and averaging 2 tables at a time, my hourly rates have been:

.10/.25: 13 sessions, avg. 2.92 hours per session, $7.65/hr
.25/.50: 14 sessions, avg. 3.75 hours per session, $12.68/hr
.50/1: 4 sessions, avg. 5.00 hours per session, $22.18/hr

i know i need more sessions to have a more accurate picture of things, especially given NL variance, but they look about right, with hourly rate increasing by ~2 with doubled stakes...i believe hourly rate would be right on 2 given more time at a stakes because the first few sessions are a transition period where the hourly rate isn't so good

see ya at the tables
arkose

ps. is there any feeling in the world like winning a huge hand? my second night of .50/1 i won a hand worth $411 with my fh taking down the flush...ya gotta love it /images/graemlins/cool.gif