PDA

View Full Version : Is UB 5/10 really hard?

BottlesOf
01-16-2004, 01:11 AM
I've been winning UB 3/6 for a long time, with only minor skids. Today, the day I move up to 5/10, I lose like $600. I had a bad run, being second best a lot, but I haven't had a 60 BB set back in well over a month. I'm pretty sure these streaks are natural, it just struck me as a coincidence, and I wanted to see what others thought.

Stu Pidasso
01-16-2004, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is UB 5/10 really hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on you and your skills as a poker player. Asking us is a waste of time.

Stu

BottlesOf
01-16-2004, 01:17 AM
I disagree. Although, perhaps I should've been clearer. I meant when compared to UB 3/6, or compared to other 5/10's and 3/6's. I didn't mean in any absolute sense, obviously one couldn't say it's a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty.
Basically should I expect my win rate to suffer (BB/hr.) as a result of this jump?

Stu Pidasso
01-16-2004, 01:30 AM
I play mostly at Party/Empire.

Recently I moved from 3-6 to 5-10 on that site(s). I found the 5-10 game there only slightly more difficult than the 3-6. Other winning 3-6 players at that site might find 5-10 games extremely difficult(which is how I felt about the party 5-10s when I moved from the 2-4 up to the 3-6).

I don't know if thats going to help you any. I don't think it is. What would help you is to watch some of the UB 5-10 games and compare the skill level of the players to the UB 3-6 games. Just before I made my switch from 3-6 to 5-10 at party, I did that and I said to myself, "There are just as many bozos at the 5-10 games as there are at the 3-6 games". When I finally started to play the Party 5-10 I found they played back at me a little harder, I made some adjustments to that and things have gone pretty well since.

Stu

JohnShaft
01-16-2004, 02:18 AM
I think Stu's right, it's more a case of comparing the play at the levels and determining the difference. But I figure you've done this and think there isn't much difference, but you aren't sure.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you are right, there isn't much difference.

My standard game now (though I've been taking it easy for since before Christmas) is precisely UB's 5/10 game. I've never been a fan of Party, maybe I will be one day.

I recently tried UB's 10/20, now I have the roll, when I spotted a good game.
I was really happy with the way things turned out. But I lost $700. My biggest ever loss $ wise.
But I wasn't concerned. I was absolutely certain that, with a couple of terrible players and some average ones, that I had the best of it. The thing is the game was 'too good' and I just got the bad end of the bad players.
Did this put me off 10/20? Hell no.
I played in similar spots later on and have so far, in limited time, just about made back them losses. I feel I've gathered the knowledge to ignore my result and have enough experience that I can determine if I am profitable there or not.

I don't think there's an appreciable difference. And I've worked my way up through all UB's limits from .25c up, when I started two years ago.
One thing I will say though, the players you find at 5/10 are more a case of 5/10+ players than anything. You don't seem to find people from the 3/6 tables so much.

I'd say keep plugging away at it Bottles.
Say hi if you see me there. And if you're interested in any conversations relating to hands or playing there I'm always here to discuss things.

Keep plugging away.

scrub
01-16-2004, 02:19 AM