PDA

View Full Version : east coast cold

Ray Zee
01-16-2004, 01:08 AM
some of you wimpy east coasters freezing your butts off?

Gamblor
01-16-2004, 02:15 AM
This is the coldest I can ever remember it being. First time in my life I miss the barren, shadeless, dump that is the Negev.

daryn
01-16-2004, 02:18 AM
i really don't see what everyone is complaining about.. it's not like we didn't know it got cold here. i mean i've been living here for quite a while.. my whole life.. is it cold? YES! but who cares! the high temperature today was 10 degrees F, doesn't bother me!

MMMMMM
01-16-2004, 02:30 AM
This is good, healthy weather. Just dress for it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When it is nice and cold like this the air is clearer and cleaner. I have also read that if it stays really cold it kills (some) germs too. Maybe that's just an old country legend...but doesn't it just feel healthier?

scrub
01-16-2004, 08:23 AM
No. It feels colder. I hate New Jersey.

scrub

Ragnar
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
The Good News:

Weather in Phoenix yesterday--high 70 low 52.

The Bad News:

I'm flying to Albany Sunday and driving down to Poughkeepsie
The weather in Albany yesterday High 2 low -6.

Not only that, I'm moving to Poughkeepsie in late February and giving up my view of the Superstition Mountains, but I'm not one of those "wimpy East Coasters" at least yet.

Ragnar

Gamblor
01-16-2004, 10:16 AM
the high temperature today was 10 degrees F, doesn't bother me!

Best temperature for a little shinny (http://www.nfb.ca/shinny/).

Utah
01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I hate the cold but those temperatures are not that cold. At least not for Minnesota, although the last couple of years have been mild.

I used to race cross country skiing in high school in MN. The cut-off for manadatory practice outside (which we practiced in lycra suits) was -40 windchill. There were a lot of those days one year. Even when it was that cold we still practiced.

Once, my friend and I slept in the back of his Suburban in Biwabik MN when it was -30 degrees straight up and -60 to -90 degrees with the windchill. Now that was freaking cold.

Diplomat
01-16-2004, 01:28 PM
I think I'm being chased by cold weather. I was in Vancouver over Christmas and it was freakishly cold for BC, and I came back to Ontario just in time for the cold snap here.

I guess it could be worse. I could live in Winnipeg.

-Diplomat

andyfox
01-16-2004, 01:40 PM
It's we here on the left coast who are weather wimps. When the temperature is "only" in the 60s during the day, we get out our winter clothes and start to complain. A half an inch of rain makes banner headlines in the papers and on the news.

I ran into an east coast 2+2er yesterday on his first visit to La-la land. He is in love. With both the games at Commerce and the weather and wants to move to California.

Who can blame him?

adios
01-16-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't mind the cold so much as ice on the roads. When we get snow here in Abq I just wait until noon to go out as it's usually all melted off the roads by then. Snow looks great in the mountains on the edge of town not enough to open the ski area here yet I believe though. Gotta take the hour drive to Sante Fe for the closest skiing.

Rushmore
01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes. In fact, I tried to sit at my desk in my office today, only to sort of slide off and onto the floor.

It's only after losing one's ass that one really appreciates one's ass.

George Rice
01-16-2004, 08:55 PM
We get this kind of weather every year Ray, although usually not this bad. It may not be as bad as the typical Montana winter, but a bad Montana summer doesn't compare to a NY summer (hot AND humid). We get the worst of both worlds.

Ray Zee
01-16-2004, 10:26 PM
i grew up in n.j. and that is the coldest i have ever been. the humidity. out west even below zero isnt that cold really. few people bundle up as they do for just a normal cold day in the east. summer is wonderful and the only place to be at that time of the year.
execpt for the greek diners and italian food i dont miss it one bit.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Well, at least -40 is the one centigrade temperature we in the US can understand. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Mass. & RI cancelled school. They must be rolling on the floor laughing in Green Bay.

scalf
01-17-2004, 09:37 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif brrr...28 deg far...in greenwood s.c.

dam yankee weather...

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

RydenStoompala
01-17-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm moving in June. 1) the cold is freakin unbearable and 2) I'm too far from Vegas. Dress for it? Darn, I left my NASA moon suit at the cleaners. Straight back to the west coast, do not pass go but do collect $200. And where the hell is global warming? Those lying sack of poop environmentalists promised me melted icecaps, 70 degree Decembers and saber tooth tigers wandering the streets by 2003! Liars!

George Rice
01-17-2004, 07:15 PM
I'd expect the summers to be good there, probably similar to Maine here on the east.

I'm going to guess you lived in northern NJ as you didn't mention the Jersy shore (Although the traffic is awful). And the back pine forest areas are great for riding motorcycles, for those who do.

Everyone who leaves the NY area misses the Italian restaurants. Don't know if I've ever heard anyone lament about the Greek diners though. Maybe back in my drinking days I might have agreed (For those who don't know, they are frequently open all night and serve almost anything. Those, and the all night restaurants in Manhattan's Chinatown are populated by many after a night in the pubs/clubs/etc.).

If (WHEN!) I left this area I'd miss being able to visit Manhattan when necessary. There's more there than probably anywhere else on the planet. But it's also one of the dirtiest places and the people can be less than friendly. And the cost of living is out of control--even in NJ and CT. And forget the traffic. And the crime. /images/graemlins/mad.gif