PDA

View Full Version : flopped a nut straight and a draw to the royal - slowplay?

DrewOnTilt
01-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Party $0.50-$1.00 I come in raising from mid position with
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Button calls
BB calls

Flop is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets.
I figure that with the nut straight and a draw at the royal, I can slowplay and collect a few extra bets. I call, button calls.

Please comment on my decision. Was this in my best interests, or should I have never let off the gas?

Thanks,

DOT

Brian462
01-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Do whatever you can to get the most money in the pot. There's not much that can really hurt you here as you have not only the nut straight but the nut flush draw as well. Sometimes playing your hand fast is the best way to get the most money and sometimes slowplaying is, it just depends on your opponents and how strong their hands are.

bdk3clash
01-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Seems the best play in my opinion. The only thing you're "worried" about here is a draw to hands that beat you (full houses.)

2 pair or a set seems unlikely, given the preflop passivity and the flop play. On the turn, bet/raise--don't get fancy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Schneids
01-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Since there is only one player left behind you (and two total in the hand) I think calling is fine.

If there had been a couple more cold callers though, I'd raise now -- primarily to charge lone aces to draw to the gutshot and to try to maximize the amount of times you win a full large pot (versus other people hitting the broadway too and getting a large pot chopped into pieces).

brian0729
01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Against only two opponents here I think calling is fine. Bet raise the turn though, dont wait till the river in case they miss.

If more opponents, not many either only 1 or 2 more and I would put the raise in now.

Nice flop.

DrewOnTilt
01-15-2004, 10:00 PM
It's at least good to know that some other 2+2ers would have slowplayed as well. But I goofed later.

The turn was 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif, BB bet and I raised. Button calls
Then disaster hits on the river in the form of Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, I bet, button raises, BB 3-bets, and I stupidly call.
Button caps it, BB calls, and I still did not take the hint.

Button turns over queens full of jacks. Ouch! I seriously think he made a mathematical mistake by chasing with only roughly 10 big bets in the pot after the turn.

Trix
01-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I dont think button think that he is chasing with his 2 pair. He is probably slowplaying like you. OFC you call this on the river it might aswell be trips. He could have coldcalled the turn raise with Q and a gutshot for the straight.

bunky9590
01-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Hey Drew, i don't slowplay often but this may be one instance where I would.

Brian
01-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Drew,

I differ from the others here, and maybe incorrectly so. But IMO, at the lower limits especially, I tend to not slowplay many hands. Not because I am worried about being overtaken, especially in this situation, but more because most opponents are willing to call 2 bets on this Flop with a whole heck of a lot of hands, so why let them just call 1 bet instead? I don't use much deception at the lower limits because, quite frankly in my experience, none is needed.

Another reason not to slowplay is that you don't want to give singleton Aces or Tens cheap cards in order to tie you. They'll probably call 2 bets with their 1 card gutshot straight, so go ahead and let them.

-Brian

bernie
01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
ive lost with this type of hand. it's wonderful when the board pairs.

3 way pot? play it either way. me? i like to bet out or raise with the nuts. especially if they are the type of players that will call. the bettor may have a good draw or 2 pair. the button may fold anyways. and you may get 3 bet.

b

Joe Tall
01-16-2004, 10:58 AM
It's close but I perfer to play fast at loose games so I raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Sarge85
01-16-2004, 01:29 PM
With so few opponents I think the smooth call is good here, any more people in the hand, and it's ram and jam time.

el_grande
01-16-2004, 01:37 PM
The royal draw is NO factor in my decision. You are talking about 1 out.

It's a straight with possible 4-flushes out there so I play it fast (raise).

BugsBunny
01-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Except that he's the one that also had the nut 4 flush.

I still prefer to play it fast, although I will slowplay a hand like this on occasion. But somehow it seems that everytime I do slowplay a hand like this I end up losing /images/graemlins/smile.gif (or at least those are the ones I tend to remember longer)

Warik
01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Everyone else's responses are pretty good, but keep in mind that if you play this hand in a B&M and they have a jackpot bonus for royal flushes, you want to check/call the hell out of this! /images/graemlins/smile.gif It would suck to have everyone fold and find out that the next card would have made it a $5000 pot for you!