PDA

View Full Version : Like my play?

TazQ
01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Clearing a bonus at Empire, I'm on autopilot.
CO is loose, seeing the flop 45% of the time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has 8d, As and is BB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP3 limps, CO limps, Button limps, SB limps, Hero checks

Flop(8 SB): 4s, 9s, Ad

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, Button folds, SB calls, Hero raises, UTG folds, EP1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds

Turn(12 BB): Td

Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls

River(16 BB): 5c

Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls

Results: <font color="white"> CO turns over A3o </font>

Main reason why I'm asking is because I think I was playing a little too aggressively when I started out, then turned a little weak tight, now I'm trying to get back into a standard tight aggressive frame of mind.

Brian
01-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi TazQ,

Very well-played. I am glad that you worked up the courage to bet the River. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think the only interesting point in this hand is whether to check the Flop or bet right out. HPFAP says that when you Flop top pair with a weak kicker against many opponents, your best play is to usually check and see what happens. If there is a bet and a raise, easy fold. If there is a bet from an early position player and a few callers, easy fold. And if there is a bet from a late position player, check-raise.

But, when you Flop a top pair of Aces, I think that maybe betting outright would be best. Because many players will play any Ace, it isn't unreasonable at all that your 8 kicker is the best. Also, with a 2-Flush on the board, someone could easily be betting a Flush draw from early position. Finally, the odds of a higher Ace being out there are diminished because players often raise AK, AQ, and sometimes AJ, before the Flop.

I think it's close and am interested to hear what others think.

-Brian

Glurfle
01-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Barring some other overriding factor, my preference is to check-call the river, hoping to induce a bluff. If he's got a better A, maybe he chickens out and checks behind. If he's got a 9, T, or 2 spades, maybe he gets frisky and bets. So against a known halfway reasonable player, I check-call. I suppose against a Party .5/1 player, betting is better, since who knows what they might call with?

SoCalPat
01-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I think the check-raise on the flop is an excellent play. Anyone between you and the raiser will be loathe to call two cold unless they're on a huge draw -- anything less than that and they're making a huge mistake.

On the river, I'd be more inclined to check/call. Against three players, the odds seem too great that someone made their fluke 2 pair on the river. Bully to you for betting out and getting a call, but in my poker-playing mind, I'm not sure if I want to be called here.

Joe Tall
01-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Nice hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Main reason why I'm asking is because I think I was playing a little too aggressively when I started out, then turned a little weak tight, now I'm trying to get back into a standard tight aggressive frame of mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a normal trend, don't worry about it.

Peace,
Joe Tall