PDA

View Full Version : Calling with ace high on the end

08-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have any type of system for calling with ace high at the end when bet into vs a typical player. It seems like I am beat 95% of the time when I call. I know the size of the pot is significant in this decision. I was thinking of just calling with AK and not AQ or AJ. Any thoughts on this?

08-26-2002, 03:16 PM
it sounds like youre playing in game where people dont bluff. (for instance that seems to be the case in most small limit online games) so the best plan would be to stop calling with A high so much.

08-26-2002, 05:18 PM

08-26-2002, 07:56 PM
If you have reason to believe that your opponent might not have anything and the pot's big enough then do it.

You need to measure pot odds vs. your best guess as to what your opponent might have. There are a million subtle nuances to the decision.

There's no easy answer to this question. It all comes down to your ability to read an opponent's likely hand.

08-26-2002, 09:07 PM
It is often correct to call on the end heads-up with Ace-high. If you never do, you aren't picking off enough bluffs.

08-27-2002, 06:35 PM
The answer isn't that easy. Laredo was right in that it depends on the situation. That is, if it looks like there's a busted draw on board, or if it's shorthanded against overaggressive types, then calling on the end with any ace can be correct. However, in a standard full ring game, calling every hand down holding just an AK high is suicide.

Pringle

08-27-2002, 11:02 PM
Guess I should've elaborated...

I meant don't call with Ace-high on the river if you don't have a read on your opponent and are losing 95% of the time, as stinky finger stated he was.

-JAA