PDA

View Full Version : Turn Checkraise

daveymck
01-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Reading through past posts here one of the most powerful plays seems to be the turn checkraise. I think I have grasped tha basics of this but will post two examples where I have applied this tonight for review.

Hand 1

Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is SB

UTG limps, MP3 limps, Button folds, Hero limps, BB checks

Flop(4 SB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds

Turn(3 BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, UTG calls

River(7 BB): 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, UTG calls

This was my first rotation so no reads on the player was only really scared of A5s was the only hand that I felt could be out there to scare me and no draws on the flop so didnt feel even giving a free card could hurt me here.

UTG turned over AJo so MHIG

Hand 2

Main opposition here had not been sat down long but seemed loose (he turned out to be Loose aggressie especially heads up post flop)

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is UTG

Hero raises, MP1 calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds

Flop(5 1/2 SB): T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls

Turn(3 3/4 BB): K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls

River(7 3/4 BB): 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, MP1 calls

After flop was only behind to KK which I would have expected him to reraise, again no obvious draws on the flop so wasnt scared of the free card.

He turned over 22 mhig

Barry
01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Hand 1 is pretty standard I would think.

In hand 2, I'd be more afraid of getting the flop checked around than setting up a turn checkraise here. Plus if he has a K he's likely to raise the flop and you can decided whether to 3-bet the flop or to checkraise the turn. I would bet out on the flop here and then perhaps go for the turn checkraise.

Nate tha' Great
01-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I agree with Barry with regard to Hand #2; checking this flop after a PFR in a heads up situation frankly looks suspicious, so I'd bet out. He called two cold before the flop, and most bettors who are willing to call two cold are going to call at least one more small bet on the flop.

A prefereable "tricky" play, IMHO, is to check the turn (this is assuming that he calls) and go for a check-raise on either the turn on the river. Needless to say, it's a highly opponent dependant play, but *most* opponents can't resist the opportunity to fire one back at you when it looks like you've given up on your hand, especially when the scare card hits. Even if you whiff and it is checked through, my experience has been that opponents are generally willing to call a river bet after this stop-and-go charade when they might not have been otherwise.

Stu Pidasso
01-15-2004, 09:04 PM
On both hands you should come out betting.

Hand 1.
A)Betting out when you have the goods, makes it believable when you bet out on flops like this holding cockcah. B)You do not want to give a free card here as putting a draw on the board that beats you decreases the value of your hand. C)Betting out on the flop does not preclude you from checkraising the turn.

Hand 2
You raised preflop. Everyone expects you to bet the flop. When you check everyone figures you flopped a monster and now your trying to slow play. In this situation you lucked out because you were heads up with an idiot.

Stu

Brian
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM