PDA

View Full Version : Raising the stakes

mistaken
01-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Hello all,
I began playing in a home game a couple of months ago and at that time about 6 of the 9 players were tight-passive. In two months time most of have them have become loose-passive because of their want to enjoy their role in more pots. We always play .10/.20 NL Hold 'em but each pot is now an average of about $4 to $5.
If I really wanted to beat everyone I could just wait around for a premium hand and get paid off, however that isn't all that fun.
Does anyone have any suggestions for taming the game in order to make it stronger (change limits or something else)?
Thanks

LetsRock
01-15-2004, 05:54 PM
What is the point of this game for you?

Are you there to have fun or are you there to win money? (obviously both, but whhich is more important?)

If it's just for the fun, then have fun and play lot's of hands. If you're there for the money (and to wreck everyone else's fun) then play "correctly" and wipe them out with premium hands.

Changing limits won't likely change the game. You're playing NL so the only thing that changes are the blinds. After that, the sky's the limit. The only thing you stand to gain by changing limits is to scare some of the players away.

I'm not sure if you feel that the $4-5 pots are big or small - I played a little .10/.20 NL on-line and pots were routinely $20 and up.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of a "stronger" game. Do you want better opponents? Do you want to get more money in the game?

It sounds like you are a "guest" at this home game; I'd suggest learning to enjoy it and not try to change things. Start your own home game if you want to dictate the texture and stakes.