PDA

View Full Version : For the Fishing Crowd

Zeno
01-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Interesting article from Oregon about cause and effect -parasites or pollution and the role of good science in fish studies.

Fish Study (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1074084929175221.xml)

-Zeno

Ed I
01-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Interesting. Are the trout impacted or only the minnows?

We have a parasite here also that causes whirling disease. Young trout take a big hit. Recruitment in many systems is way down.

The Clark Fork River flows thru the town I live in. Its been impacted by heavy metal pollution from mining.

It was 53 in Great Falls yesterday, I hope your brother found his way onto the river. The population on the Missouri may collapse soon. Now lots of big fish but little recruitment.

Zeno
01-15-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Are the trout impacted or only the minnows?

[/ QUOTE ]

The article really doesn't specify but I assume that it probably shows up in most fish species but the minnows are more prone and thus used for the study. This sounds reasonable but I could be wrong.

I liked the article because it shows the sometimes very convoluted nature of things and the difficulty of "troubleshooting" a problem or concern. Pollution is damaging a lot of fisheries so it is a justifiable first thing to blame, but in doing so other real dangers may be overlooked and other hypotheses get short shift or pushed aside for the easier target.

That Whirling disease is a big problem and mining waste has caused a lot of problems to more than just fish in many steams and rivers thoughout the west. Not a good legacy to leave behind.

I need to call my brother! If I get any interesting fishing info I'll post it.

-Zeno