PDA

View Full Version : KK with Overcard on Flop

CPA
01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Typical Party Table . (10 Players)

I get K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK in /images/graemlins/club.gif in CO

EP calls, MP calls, I raise, both blinds fold, and EP and MP call.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP Checks, MP checks, I bet, EP calls, MP Folds

Turn 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP checks, I bet, EP calls

River 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP checks, I bet, EP calls.

Of course you know what happened. EP shows A4o and takes the pot.

What are you supposed to do in this situation? Against the loose passive players, you never really know where you stand in these situations. I think folding is not the correct answer....that would be weak tight correct?

I have been running really bad lately, and my larger pocket pairs (KK,QQ,JJ) are getting one overcard on the flop. The results are almost always the same as the hand above against these Loose passive players.

Thanks in advance. I have been running bad lately and think I need to post more hands here !!!

MikeyObviously
01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
thats just the way it has to be done. at 2/4 party you have to bet the flop and turn to protect your hand...especially with two diamonds on the board. And the river...its a clear valuebet situation as bad players like that will call with tens...or even eights.

ProfLupin
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I think you played it fine. I know it doesn't seem like it now when you are on a losing streak, but you'll get shown Q10 or J10 as much as A4 I think.

el_grande
01-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Heads up like that, there's not much you can do. The player could just as easily have a 10.

With two or more players in, you might want to check-fold the turn if you think the players are decent. If checked through then you can bet the river and take it down.

Aces McGee
01-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Against typical low-limit players, I generally check behind on the river here.

McGee

TheRake
01-15-2004, 01:43 PM
CPA,

[ QUOTE ]
What are you supposed to do in this situation? Against the loose passive players, you never really know where you stand in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about it....I know it's easier said than done, but this is the same player that will call you down when you have AK. Playing solid poker will win you the money in the long run. Keep your head up and think long term..you played this hand fine.

TheRake

Barry
01-15-2004, 01:44 PM
It depends somewhat on the opponent in the hand and the board.

In this case it's possible that EP is on a flush draw, so betting the flop and turn isn't a bad play. But once he calls the turn, the vast majority of the time he either has the A and will call the river and you lose or he misses the flush and won't call the river bet. The river bet makes no sense here.

CPA
01-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replies !!! I guess this was more of a sanity check than anything else.

As far as checking the river, I think this may be the play if I wasn't up against a potentially busted flush draw.

Aces McGee
01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as checking the river, I think this may be the play if I wasn't up against a potentially busted flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's on the flush draw, he's not calling your river bet.

The fact that he could be on the flush draw is MORE of a reason to check behind.

CPA
01-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Good point....I see the light. So in this situation, it may be correct to check the river unless you are sure your opponent has a lower pair. (Reason #1,439,453 why knowing your opponent is important)

umdpoker
01-15-2004, 06:47 PM
you know what sux. the odds of them having a4o at the same time you have ak and a hits the flop are about nil. i am starting to think these retards aren't as retarded as i used to think. i swear everytime i do get a moron to call my raise with his a4o he hits 2 pair anyways and takes my fuckin money. i am astarting to get physically sick from the beats i am taking.

pilamsolo
01-15-2004, 06:58 PM
I agree completely. The chance of him laying down a better hand on the river are nil, and so are the chances of getting called by a worse hand. I definately check.