PDA

View Full Version : Peak Oil

bdypdx
01-14-2004, 08:48 PM
What do ya'll think about this one?

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

David Steele
01-14-2004, 08:58 PM
The style of his writing makes it hard to take seriously,but he is not completely wrong, it is the short timing I would question.

Also this

As of this writing, I am still seeking my first legal job. Maintaining this site costs money, of which I have little at this point in time. If you feel like this site has benefited you, consider making a donation.

hmmmm

D.

Utah
01-14-2004, 09:04 PM
It sounds like this guy needs a girlfriend.

sam h
01-14-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the last year (2003), the cost of food has risen 16%-25%. Health care costs have risen 15%. Education costs have risen 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says who? There's no data.

[ QUOTE ]
You can expect the U.S. to invade Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia within the next 2-5 years. As you watch the news, you can already notice the hints are being dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like conspiracy theory time.

[ QUOTE ]
When food production plummets, the only way to control the population will be through the institution of a fascist style police state. The passage of the Patriot Acts are the foundation of that state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that about clinches it. Another guy spouting off on the internet, taking a very real issue - the coming oil crunch - and blowing it out of proportion. There's no question we're going to have to deal with the oil problem in the next 25-50 years. But the idea that gas prices will start going through the roof, China will initiate World War III, and human population will be reduced to 500 million in the next decade or so is pretty ludicrous.

Zeno
01-14-2004, 10:08 PM
The Carter administration predicted the peak of the oil curve at around, you guessed it, 2000.

Step on the gas - there is plenty of oil. If we are headed for oblivion, I prefer to go at top speed screaming along in a huge 1975 Detroit convertible with the top down; smoking a big fat cigar; one hand fondling the big tits of a blonde bimbo scrounged up next to me, the other hand desperately wrapped around a bottle of Kentucky bourbon while trying to steer; shotguns and explosives in the back seat and a 45 auto on the dash, wads of hundreds stuffed in the glove box, heading for a no-limit poker orgy. A pox on anyone that thinks this vile insidious cesspool of a civilization is worth giving a hoot about.

How’s that for nitty-gritty.

Le Misanthrope

bdypdx
01-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm definitely checking out that Basque place in Reno.

In the meantime...

Wake up CALL
01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
After reading so many flaws in his paper I'll point out one that caught my interest.

He wrote: " Hydrogen is currently manufactured from methane gas. It takes more energy to create it than the hydrogen actually provides. It is therefore an energy “carrier” not a source. Liquid hydrogen occupies four to eleven times the bulk of equivalent gasoline or diesel."

Actually Hydrogen is a natural element in great abundance. It takes no methane gas to produce. A common method is by producing steam which is really not all that hard to produce. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hydrogen consuming vehicles will get about 16 miles per gallon, not much worse than many of today's cars. The fuel tanks will be about the same size as todays gasoline tanks.

Call 602-275-4126 to purchase your own hydrogen producing flame generator. Get a head start on the "Peak Oil Crisis!

One of his points I really do like is: "We will likely be inavding or attacking France at some point as well."

John Feeney
01-15-2004, 03:18 AM
No one cries for humanity quite like Zeno. Here's to you, man. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Back in the 70's, the experts were saying the same thing, except that the "peak" would be in 1997. By 2020, water will be a bigger issue than oil, anyway.