PDA

View Full Version : My First 2/4 Session

daveymck
01-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Have built up my bankroll mainly on the .50/1 party and 1/2 no foldem holdem on Inter and skins plus some lunchtime 1/2 games on VC my bankroll is up to 370bb's for this level so thought it was time to wet my feet at this level. Am prepared to drop down if bankroll drops and will combine this level with the monthly bonus at inter and clearing my bonus at pacific.

Initial thoughts at 2/4 play is harder than I have come across before the table seems to alter hand to hand more than at the passive tables I usually play, will need to tighten up my play and play more on a hand to hand basis taking a lot more of position and people in the hand than at lower levels. A lot more heads up play than used to as well and more hands per hour.

People generally seem to know when to fold but there are still idiots and they seem easier to spot, but also are there and gone from the table much quicker with empty pockets. Opponants seem to try and be a bit more trickier as well.

Main initial areas to work on are going to be table selection, heads up play (particulary blind defense) and more focus on position also knowing when to fold.

Any other initial tips and thoughts would be good.

First session 230 hands on 5 different tables (1 table at a time) couple of tables started breaking up soon after I joined. Was down 6.5bb at the end of the session but some swings over the course of it (nned ot think bb's and not in money). Was nervous to begin with but after a run of losing 20bb's started to pull it together to get back.

After all that heres first hand for review

I'd been at the table 9 hands so no reads on players as yet.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is BB

MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO(poster) checks, Button folds, SB limps, Hero checks

Flop(5 SB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks

Turn(2 1/2 BB): K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls

River(11 1/2 BB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets(all-in), SB calls, Hero calls

Main question is about the reraise, flop was checked through did he miss his c/r for trips or does he think he has tptk, the river call for $1 was mandatory. With 2 pair I think I have to call it.

jrobb83
01-14-2004, 09:09 PM
After the raise, especially with no reads about the players, calling down is certaintly correct with kings up in that situation, but I would have probably capped the turn. I think there was a very good chance you were ahead on the turn, as the only thing he could hold to beat you are trips (a possibility), a straight (less likely, as AQ probably would have raised pre-flop, but Q9 is possible at a loose table, so who knows?), or KT or KJ (which I believe most people would have bet the flop with either of those hands).

I've noticed that after a street is checked around, some people start to think their middle pair/bad kicker is good and bet the hell out of it. Plus people also tend to get trickier in general after it is checked around, so he could think you are raising with crap too. Also, you said he was all-in for the next bet, so this would also lead me to be skeptical of the value of his hand, as when people are near all in, they will raise hands they would never otherwise raise just to get the rest of it in there as soon as possible. I would have capped the betting, as I definately don't put the SB on anything that can beat me, and would rather have him pay to draw out, plus even if MP has me beat, he only has $1 left, so who cares?

After the turn, there's a good chance that you are beat as any Q beats you, but you have to call his all in bet for a dollar, regardless of your hand.

daveymck
01-15-2004, 05:20 AM
I probably should have put the results as it makes my question easier to understand.

He had KJ and took it with the higher two pair. I just didnt understand his play at all, I just didnt understand why he didnt bet his tptk on the flop.

I wondered if this is more typical of this level with players trying to disguise their hands and not playing as straightforward as at lower levels.

MrBlini
01-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Cap the turn and bet the river.

It's very important to keep track of your shortstacked opponents. I make this mistake sometimes, and it can be costly.

[ QUOTE ]
24. Carefully compare the opposing army with your own, so that you may know where strength is superabundant and where it is deficient. (The Art of War, Chapter VI, 1910 translation by Lionel Giles)

[/ QUOTE ]

MrBlini
01-15-2004, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wondered if this is more typical of this level with players trying to disguise their hands and not playing as straightforward as at lower levels.

[/ QUOTE ]I suppose I see more tricky play at 2/4 and 3/6, but MP1's play isn't tricky. It's just plain bad. It costs MP1 a fair amount of money.

slavic
01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
When the other player is all in, you need to make a decision do I have the other caller beat? If so raise and at least take a side pot. There is nothing you can do about the all-in player so forget him and play the hand versus the rest of the field. Short stacks do wierd things and they like to get all in. Just note it and move on.

shame it turned out as it did, but hey that's poker.