PDA

View Full Version : ATo on the button.

BigEndian
01-14-2004, 02:21 PM
That 2+2 hand reminded me of this hand I had intended to post:

Schitzo table. Sometimes tight aggressive, sometimes loose passive. The only true dolt is sitting to my immediate right and didn't play this hand. A UTG limp could be a middle pair, a suited Ace or a big Ace but almost never complete junk.

Party Poker 5/10 (10 handed)
BigEndian has A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is Button

UTG limps, MP2 limps, BigEndian limps, SB folds, BB checks

Arguably, I should raise here. But I have a hard time popping it with merely ATo and a UTG limper.

Flop(4 2/5 SB): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 checks, BigEndian checks

I take the free card. Sometimes I will bet here. Betting here as a default play is misguided I think and too aggressive.

Turn(2 1/5 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, EP1 bets, MP2 folds, BigEndian raises, UTG folds, EP1 calls

The flush card didn't come on the turn and I make it 2 to go with 5 1/5 in the pot. Most flush draws are still going to come along, though they're now paying me money. I didn't get re-raised and presume my hand is good.

River(6 1/5 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP1 checks, BigEndian bets, EP1 calls

Routine.

Thoughts?

After the hand, seeing what my opponent had made me think about this more. If you knew your opponent held AJ, ignoring the PF limp, how would this effect you play on the flop, turn and river?

- Jim

Jezebel
01-14-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop(4 2/5 SB): 4, 7, 3

UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 checks, BigEndian checks

I take the free card. Sometimes I will bet here. Betting here as a default play is misguided I think and too aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that betting out as a default on the flop can be an error, but in this case I think it is worth a shot. Everyone limped preflop and all check to a non-preflop raiser on the flop. You have 2 overcards and trump backdoor flush draw, so if you are called you have a few outs. If only called in one spot, I would probably fire again on the turn if a blank fell. The pot is small enough on the flop that even overcards will have trouble justifying a call.

Preflop - I usually raise one or two limpers when on the button, but I agree that an UTG limper does tighten my marginal raises up a bit.

Turn and River look standard.

Nice hand.

Joe Tall
01-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Looks routine to me, I'd play it the same way.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Aces McGee
01-14-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the hand, seeing what my opponent had made me think about this more. If you knew your opponent held AJ, ignoring the PF limp, how would this effect you play on the flop, turn and river?

[/ QUOTE ]

This obviously depends on the opponent. If there's any chance at all he'll fold overcards, then I bet the flop.

On the turn, an easy fold unless he's incredibly weak. You don't have the odds to call looking for your ten. It's either fold or raise...and if he's not folding TP3K to a raise (which this guy apparently isn't), then you've got a fold.

The river is then irrelevant, but if you somehow got there...then it's obviously a bet.

McGee