PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Good Flop...I Think...

ML4L
01-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey all,

$100 Party. Unremarkable game; no maniacs or even loose-aggressives... I currently have everyone covered. Loosey ($42) limps UTG. I limp in MP with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB ($91) completes, BB ($34) checks. Pot is $8; flop comes:

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB bets out for $10, UTG calls.

What now?

ML4L

SpaceAce
01-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Raise. Is there any other option with top two pair in a situation like this? That $10 could be anything from AQ to a flush draw. With the smooth call you're almost certainly facing at least one draw between the flush and the straight. Don't let them hit it. I suppose you could be facing a made straight but you won't know if you don't stick some money out there.

I've been hanging out in the $25 games for quite some time so maybe my brains are getting addled but here's what I see: You've got a powerful hand and you're likely way ahead. However, that board is just LOADED with nasty draws waiting to take your money. In addition to the straight and flush draws, you won't be happy to see any Ace or King even if they don't make a straight. I can't see any reasonable option except putting in a raise.

SpaceAce

WalleyeJason
01-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I would raise here putting the BB all in. I think that your probaly way ahead here and BB had a Flush Draw or a Qx. Make him pay for it if he decides to call. Most shortstacks at Party will call off their stacks with weak drawing hands.

You dont want anybody drawing at you...This board is ripe for a suckout.

ML4L
01-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. Kind of a ho-hum hand...

Of course, I did raise, but I really didn't like it. There was a chance that I was already beaten, and both of the short stacks were getting a good price on a draw by calling. But, I raised to $45, putting BB and UTG all-in. It turned out to be a moot point, because SB check-reraised all-in, BB called, UTG folded, and I auto-mucked. SB flopped the nuts, and BB flopped the smaller straight...

The reason that I posted this hand was because I wanted to see what people thought about waiting until the turn to raise. If the turn is a blank, BB and UTG are NOT getting the correct odds to draw. Also, I lose less when I am beat. This play is clearly not correct against bigger stacks, but against small stacks, what do people think?

ML4L