PDA

View Full Version : What's your line on this hand?

James282
01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Very good 5/10 6 max on Party. I am dealt A3 of spades in the cutoff. Folded to a loose-passive who calls, now I decide to raise because there is a huge tighty who seems like he isn't used to this level(bought in for 112$) and he has folded every hand in 3 orbits, and besides, I am awesome and what I say goes at this table. Anyway, tighty now 3 bets and foils me, woops! Weak and terrible player calls, and I just call /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

It's checked to me, and I bet, tighty raises, the second worst player in the world folds. I call(should I have reraised!?).

Turn now comes a 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Now this guy thinks I am overaggressive, so I bet. He thinks and thinks and like a tight baby just calls.

River comes a K /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls, calls me a fish, and leaves the table. What do you think?
-James

stripsqueez
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
looks ok to me - i cant imagine doing anything different pre-flop - this goes in the muck sometimes but your description of the players tells me i'm not going to do that - i have a rule that i wont stop betting with a 4 flush and a pair on the flop so i would 3 bet the flop - once you dont 3 bet the flop it becomes hypothetical but betting out seems a reasonable plan to me

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

naphand
01-14-2004, 02:45 PM
I like it. What kind of fish are you? A carp?

Not sure if I would keep betting the draw on the flop HU as strip suggests (against 2 or more I would) - you are about evens to improve, but some of your outs may not be clean as your friend, I would assume, is playing AK.

If I made this play, I would play it the same, or I might think about CR the turn. It worked out well for you anyway with the very friendly scare-card hitting.

James282
01-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey Nap, normally I would probably cr the turn here too, but a CR sometimes shows too much strength to these tighties on six-max, and I don't want to lose him here. The way I see it, my betting almost makes it seem like I have AK with the ace of spades or something like that. Furthermore, the only way I have any scare cards is if he has exactly KK, so I am ready to give him an "inexpensive card". By the river, he has got to be thinking he is about to chop so calling the bet becomes easier than it would have been on the turn.
-James

Schneids
01-14-2004, 07:30 PM
I think you played the hand terrific.

naphand
01-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Indeed, a CR might get him to fold TP. I think both plays can be considered, and it worked very well the way you played it. Your read on him was good, and let you really hurt him (no wonder he left).

When I say *scare card* I mean Tighty might see a check on the River as fear of 3K (or alternatively a sign that the Turn bet/call was a bluff, representing the flush). I'm not really worried about 4K here, it is possible but so unlikely that it's not slowing me down. He clearly does not think much of you and your check with the K falling and *improving* his hand, gave him the excuse to bet at you.

I've seen this play (your play) and it would make me very suspicious. His mistake; if the Turn bet was a bluff, you are not calling the River bet, if its AK the pot is chopped and if not, you are being CR and won't be able to fold 3K for one more bet. In his position I would probably check behind, as my hand (AK) is likely chopped or beaten. That said with 20:20 hindsight of course /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

James282
01-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Yes, nap. He has to be thinking "What would this guy raise, and then play aggressively with? Could I possibly have KQ with the Q of spades? That seems like the only hand that a value bet would work on. Maybe TT-QQ. However, so many dopes think that they have to bet "just because they improve". Betting in his case was obviously incorrect, but this sort of reflex-betting is highly common at every limit that I play at.
-James

naphand
01-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Absolutely. I see this knee-jerk *I'm, winning!* reaction too, and your play on this basis was just great. I think that you actually humiliated the guy, but to his credit, at least he left the table instead of tilting.