PDA

View Full Version : Am I right about pot odds?

RustedCorpse
01-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Ok here's the situation:

paradise poker 2-4

I'm preflop UTG with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I call
6 callers
BB raises
I call so do the others

Flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets
I call
4 others call

Turn:2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets
I call
everyone else folds

River: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets
I raise
BB re raises
I cap it.

BB shows AA

Now at this point he starts screaming at me that I shouldn't have been in the hand at all that I just got lucky. I say that I had pot odds to call he then states that I didn't on the turn?

Pot odds are calculated for the entire pot right? Not just one round? In the case above I needed 16 dollars in the pot to call a 4 dollar bet right? He stated that you need to have pot odds each round, so that to call the bet on the turn for 4 dollars I would have to have four callers?
I'm fairly new at this but I'm right right? You calculate the entire pot for pot odds and future bets for implied right? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

1800GAMBLER
01-14-2004, 07:25 AM
You had pot odds. More so you had an overlay on your hand on the flop, so had you been last to act raising would have been good.

... apart from in this hand were he would have reraised, the other two would have folded, but usually it's good!

Joe Tall
01-14-2004, 08:38 AM
First, don't concede that you know about pot odds, etc at the table. Just say, "oh, I didn't know what to do" "Please tell me".

F-him and you have to call every street. He's the idiot that 3-bet the river.

I like your call on the flop to keep others in the hand I hope that if someone raised in later position that you would have re-raised.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Mike Gallo
01-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Rusted,

Other than the preflop limp, you played the hand fine.

You could have raised the flop or the turn.

He played the river horribly.

Now at this point he starts screaming at me that I shouldn't have been in the hand at all that I just got lucky. I say that I had pot odds to call he then states that I didn't on the turn?

Do not engage in such conversations. What purpose does it serve? Your opponent got rivered and feels as if you got lucky, let him to think that way.

37offsuit
01-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Whether you have pot odds or not on this hand, you're drawing to the nuts and have the gut shot to boot. So at worst you're going to have to call till the river. At best (as happened) you're going to make your hand and not just be the favorite to win, but the only possible winning hand. Had you missed the river, you can easily fold. Screw him and his trip aces.

Joe Tall
01-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Heido Ho Mecka-lecka Heidi Ho,

[ QUOTE ]
Other than the preflop limp, you played the hand fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's only one hand but the game he was in seems passive enough to make such a limp. If it wasn't this passive on average, you are correct he should fold preflop.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Mike Gallo
01-14-2004, 09:14 AM
I know it's only one hand but the game he was in seems passive enough to make such a limp. If it wasn't this passive on average, you are correct he should fold preflop.

True enough. I have limped UTG with that hand in a loose passive game.

brian0729
01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I have been given hell twice in the last few day for being a chaser. In both cases I had odds to call. I just smiled to myself and typed "Sorry, I'll try not to do that next time"

I think you played this hand fine. Pre flop I agree completley w/ Joe, if this is a passive table the limp is fine.

I like the flop call because you want the other to stay in.

Turn and river are easy. Nice hand.

Im just doing this very quick, but it looks like 17:1 on the flop call and 12:1 on the turn. Easy easy calls.

Aces McGee
01-14-2004, 10:30 AM
My standard response to such comments these days is "I'm always lucky on Mondays" (or Tuesdays, etc.)

McGee

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I say that I had pot odds to call he then states that I didn't on the turn?

You had 12 outs on the turn. You'd be correct to call if the pot were half the size it was.

TylerD
01-14-2004, 10:43 AM
How about "thanks for the lesson can I use some of your chips to pay for another one?"

LetsRock
01-14-2004, 11:45 AM
You had plenty of odds. You played the hand fine. Don't argue about odds with a player. Just tell him you "got lucky" or you "had a feeling". "Sorry, even us blind squirrels find an acorn once in a while." or "I thought you were bluffing" (that'll really get him going if you had nothing but a draw before the river)

Don't educate him (even though he probably is unteachable) - someone else at the table may learn and if nothing else you're giving away info about your skills to the table.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-14-2004, 01:00 PM
First off, you shouldn't have such discussions with opponents at the table. Just tell him he's right, you're the idiot and got stupid-dumb lucky. Obviously you thought you had 12 clean outs to the nuts. In fact you only had 11 but what the heh.

al

el_grande
01-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

Bad odds would be what somebody did to me last night. I check-raise a flopped pair of kings in an average-sized pot and get coldcalled by a guy with pocket 6s. Terrible odds he's getting, but of course he hits his 6 on the turn...

cjx
01-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Determing the pots odds is the amount you must put in to the amount already in, i.e. if there happend to be $28 in the pot, he bets $4 you are looking at $32 to $4 or 8:1. Although, you should keep in mind that the people behind you may call generating even better pot odds for you or raise causing your pot odds to be decreased. Keep this in mind when, for instance, you are three handed and you are in the middle. first guy bets, your choice, and the last guy raised pre-flop meaning he may raise here so when weighing your call take into account that you might actually have to call a raise, re-raise etc.

cjx

MikeyObviously
01-14-2004, 03:25 PM
thats a complete joke. of course you were right in calling.

the worst comment IVE EVER HEARD from 2/4 party you ask?

"u only win 1 out of 10 hands theres 10 people at the table, so u only win 1 out of ten, cant u do math"

that statement is mindboggingly stupid in so many ways

PokerNoob
01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Nobody ever makes comments at the tables I sit at, except for perhaps a backhanded "nh" on a particularly bad suckout. However, the other morning before work I was in a pretty hotly contested hand where I had 22 in the BB. The flop came K 8 2 rainbow and I checkraised EP limper. Turn was a brick and I again checkraised the EP and MP who was coming along for the ride. River was a brick, I checked again, EP bets, MP calls and I accidentally hit the fold button. EP shows Kings, MP eights. I type into chat "Dang, I folded a set of twos". EP typed "Yah, rite!" (notice spelling) and then immediately went on tilt against me! I happily took all her money.

Analyst
01-14-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

True enough. I have limped UTG with that hand in a loose passive game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was playing in a game where I felt that KJs needed to be mucked UTG, I'd probably change games.

MrBlini
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say that I had pot odds to call he then states that I didn't on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]He's wrong, wrong, wrong.

Well played! You read the table well, called in the right spots, and raised in the right spots.

BB won't make much money if he plays well most of the time and then tilts off one or two hours' winnings in a single bad play.

Mike Gallo
01-14-2004, 07:36 PM
If I was playing in a game where I felt that KJs needed to be mucked UTG, I'd probably change games.

I find that a curious statement. Does that mean you will not play if you cannot find another game?

In the middle of the winter, we do not get a good choice of game selection during the week.

surfdoc
01-14-2004, 08:29 PM
That is why they call it pot odds. It is not "turn" odds or "flop" odds. BTW, just to bust your balls a bit, how exactly did he "scream" at you over the internet. Perhaps the software at Paradise has had some serious upgrades since I was last there.

Mike Gallo
01-15-2004, 01:22 AM
BTW, just to bust your balls a bit, how exactly did he "scream" at you over the internet.

I chuckle to myself also when I read these statements.

CarlNiclas
01-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Well, standard internet (or UseNet) jargon equates CAPS with shouting... So he might have chatted with caps on? /images/graemlins/smile.gif