PDA

View Full Version : Showing a bluff

Buck 65
01-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Showing a bluff in a tight table.
I was playing a 3/6 holdem game and at one point the game became extremly tight. Most of the players had been there since I sat down. Only 2-3 players were limping to see the flop. Others nor myself were geting any action for the cards. So I decided to try something.

I was on the button, MP bets, all fold to me. I look down at 6c2s and raise. SB and BB fold. Flop comes AA2.
MP bets, I raise, MP folds.
Now I had headphones on listening to music while I was playing. They're set really low so I can still here conversations and keep track of the game.
The player who folded was explaining to his wife, behind him, how I had AK. Thats why I raised and bet again. I noticed a few nods from players to his left and right. He even said to me "nice hand.". But I didnt even show.

I kept wondering afterwards if I should have showed.

I wanted to though. To loosen up the table, I could tighten back up, and get more action going again. Then I figured I might come off as some kind a dick, some kid showing off his 62o bluff.

The table remained tight till two manics sat down and shook things up but thats a different story. One guy was named Taliban. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CrackerZack
01-14-2004, 10:04 AM
if betting the best hand is a bluff, nice bluff.

OldLearner
01-14-2004, 01:03 PM
You used this "semi-bluff" to take down the pot. Why would you want to expose this, preventing yourself from using the same play again against this weak-tight field?

Sometimes (rarely) I'll show a successful bluff to let them know I'm capable, but usually let them find out by calling me down.

andyfox
01-14-2004, 01:14 PM
I don't think you have to worry about loosening up a 3/6 table. There will always be an influx of loose players coming soon, as happened at your table.

You win money against tight players by stealing and getting them to lay down their hands. When you show them your bluffs, you encourage them to call you down or play back at you. Besides, if MP bet that flop and then folded, maybe he's not as tight as he might at first appear.

Mike
01-14-2004, 02:19 PM
You should never show your hand semi bluff or full bluff. What makes a bluff work is players are giving you credit you do not deserve. Do not give them a reason to not give you credit for a hand.

onegymrat
01-14-2004, 09:43 PM
It also makes you look like an ass.

Louie Landale
01-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Three things here: [1] if you want to try something do it with some cheese and not some crap [2] Showing bluffs is bad form and generats ill will [3] Getting a tight table to loosen up is a relative disaster: You are much better off stealing them blind once per round. [4] If you SHOW the bluff the good players will take notice and deduce, probably correctly, that you are advertising and will stop bluffing. [5] If you really MUST show the bluff, show it to a neighbor and let some smart sucker assert "Show One Show All". [5A] If you really must show it then practice tossing your cards at the dealers hand as he pushes the pot, and get her to "accidentally" turn it over (yes, poker is a game of "skill"). [6] If you really MUST show the bluff then just keep bluffing until you DO get called: then you get to bluff as long as you are able.

OK, 6 things.

- Louie

ThaSaltCracka
01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
I agree showing the bluff is never really a good play, unless you want to put a player on tilt. Bluff someone bad and show your hand.Then watch them throw their money away for the next hour, its kinda fun.