PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Poker?

KidParty
01-14-2004, 06:16 AM
Anyone been watching this on Fox Sports? How does that announcer keep getting work? I hear this was the UK's precursor of the WPT. I love poker so I watch it but it reality it is nowhere near the WPT. Any opinions out there on this show?

TylerD
01-14-2004, 06:39 AM
It was really groundbreaking when it was first shown in the UK, getting a record number of viewers for that time slot (12 midnight). The later series are a lot better than the first few and are definately worth watching, although it does seem a little tame compared to the WPT.

daveymck
01-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Are you dissing Jesse May. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

He is in the mould of typical uk sports presenters laid back and relaxed and he seems pretty knowelegable on whats happening as well. Generally Barney Boatman is one of the co commentators and he can give a good insight into the thought processes the players are going through.

We brits dont need a John Madden type excitable commentator for the more relaxed sports.

Our darts commentator on the other hand is nuts.

Interesting Phil Hellmuth won one of the series, heres a link to the full series details.

http://www.presentable.co.uk/HTML/television/television_poker.html

Sheriff Fatman
01-14-2004, 09:02 AM
This show, I suspect like many other UK players, was my intro to the game. They stopped making it a couple of years ago (not sure why they stopped as it was really popular) although they did do a celebrity version this year which was fun viewing.

Your comparison with WPT is interesting as I'm the total opposite. I prefer the serenity of watching this to the chaotic coverage on WPT. I'm not sure whether this is because I saw Late Night Poker first (and is therefore the one I'm familiar with) or its a difference in UK/US presentation tastes - probably a bit of both.

It does suffer compared to WPT from the amounts being staked. The £50k LNP first prize looks really small in comparison. Still, the £1500 buy in still looks a long way away for me!

The Hellmuth episodes (I think about series 3 onwards) are great viewing as his coffeehousing style really stands out in a European game. My favourite is one where his tactics hit a brick wall against a French player who hardly speaks a word of English (or at least pretends not to) leaving Phil struggling to get a read on his game.

I'm not surprised that US viewers find it a little dull compared to WPT but I find the difference between the two fascinating. At times its hard to believe from the atmosphere surrounding each that this is the same game being played at a professional level in both cases.

One thing I do prefer on LPN compared to the WPT episodes I've seen is that it doesn't give you all the hand details straight away. It retains a bit more suspense this way and gives you a brief chance to try and figure out what somebody's cards are.

As for Jessie May - he does seem to come in for some stick every time I've seen/heard this programme discussed. Sid Waddell, the darts commentator referred to in one of the other posts, would be an intriguing alternative!

daveymck
01-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Dont know if you have sky but the shows are repeated on home and leisure on a friday ort saturday nights quite often. Over Christmas they showed a whole series each night but I couldnt stay up till four to watch through to the finals, and dont get sky plus til next month /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

I agree with everything you say its laid back and good entertainment in itself and the format seems to allow the character of the players to come through when at the table. The last series it seemed to me that the standard of the poker went up quite a bit as well.

Just have to watch the poker million on sky one which will be starting in the coming weeks.

superleeds
01-14-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Our darts commentator on the other hand is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh how I miss Sid. My favourite "You may have seen Shakespeare on BBC2, but you aint never seen drama like this"

daveymck
01-14-2004, 10:09 AM
He's on sky went with the breakaway darts.

superleeds
01-14-2004, 10:16 AM
The mans a genius, along with Motty and Alan Green. I live in the states now and sports commentary here sucks. The only oasis in a desert of absolute drivel is the occaisional Peter Allis (sp).

Sheriff Fatman
01-14-2004, 10:21 AM
They're actually on most weekday nights at 11pm.

The Celebrity one is on a different channel - number 121 - can't remember which it is (Bravo?). Same channel as the WPT shows.

On good days you can flick between the two channels!

TylerD
01-14-2004, 10:35 AM
They're not any more, not since the new year. Channel 121 is Challenge TV.

PS: Did you really enjoy that "celebrity" poker. I recognised Rory McGrath, Clive Sinclair and Vicky C but that was about it!

Sheriff Fatman
01-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Been too busy playing poker at that time to notice!!

The main ones I didn't recognise were the author/actor types, although I recognised more players than I didn't. There were a lot of ex-footballers and cricketers on there. The snooker players obviously spend their free time playing poker as they were generally seemed to be among the better players.

Biggest 'surprise regular player' was a toss up between Roger De Courcey (without Nookie Bear too) and Cleo Rocos. Biggest disappointment was seeing the lovely Vicky C go out relatively early in her heat.

Simon Diamond
01-14-2004, 02:10 PM
The mans a genius, along with Motty and Alan Green.

Alan Green is possibly the most irritating man I have ever had the displeasure of listening to. All he does is complain throughout his commentary stints!

Motty made me laugh on Sunday during the Leicester v Chelski game - he doesn't need an excuse to get excited does he?

Simon

Simon Diamond
01-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Are you dissing Jesse May.

He is in the mould of typical uk sports presenters laid back and relaxed

Did you watch the Poker Million last year? He was hysterical throughout - far from relaxed.

Simon

KidParty
01-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks to all who are responding. I believe that Fox Sports is just now starting to show Late Night Poker so I would think these are the first episodes. I have no problems with the players I just can't stand the announcer. He seems to me to be WAY over the top. Those of you from the UK have seen all of these already but you have to remember these are new to us in the U.S. ... I would like to know what the American opinions are on this show.

TruePoker CEO
01-14-2004, 03:50 PM
These are episodes from last year, I believe. Well worth watching.

banditbdl
01-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I was at the bar last night and I saw the Late Nite Poker on FoxSportsNet but I couldn't hear the announcers. That said it sounds from the other posts like Jessie May is one of the announcers. I think this is the same guy who did the announcing for the Sands tourney aired on FoxSportsNet on Thanksgiving. He may be the worst announcer I have ever been subjected to in my entire life, and that is saying something with the bozos they put in the booths these days.

mike l.
01-14-2004, 06:21 PM

JTrout
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Go to tvguide.com and search for "poker". My listing says next airing is Fri. 11:00 am. (eastern time)

TylerD
01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
I can't believe you don't like Jessie May! I thought he go down well with an American audience. If you give him a chance I think he's pretty good, he does a good job of prompting his co-host for information and "plays off" them well. His co-host for the later series' is the excellent Barny Boatman, one of the Hendon Mob (http://www.thehendonmob.com) and one of Britain's top players.

Ruddiger
01-14-2004, 11:01 PM
I had to turn the sound off during the sands thing, god what an annoying person.

banditbdl
01-15-2004, 04:18 AM
You never know, his peculiar brand of announcing might grow on me with time if I get a chance to catch the Late Nite Poker much. My biggest problem from the Sands telecast was how he had what I could only describe as a Yelling Whisper. He was trying to whisper like it was a golf tournament but at the same time was way over the top with his excitement.

daveymck
01-15-2004, 07:44 AM
I did which is what got me into poker, but its a year ago so cant remeber who commentated or how he was.

Highlight of the series was Joe Beevers face as he lost to the well known poker pro Jimmy White and then as the ending credits rolling him going off on one swearing his head off co he had lost.