PDA

View Full Version : How should I adjust?

08-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Our normal weekly game is PL holdem with a $5 blind and a $5 dealer ante. An optional live $10 straddle is allowed in any position but is very uncommon except for one player when he is stuck. The minimum come in is $5 but you can raise it up to $30 if first in. Other normal pot limit rules apply. Now when JFM (Jovial Fat Millionaire) shows up he insists we cap it to $25 maximum total bet before the flop then normal pot limit henceforth and we comply.

What happens is the occasional $5 and $10 flops become $25 to see the flop every hand since JFM makes it $25 every hand if it is not done so before the action reaches him. This also causes the strangest effect, the normal tight players play more hands and the loose players play less. I assume this is due to the lack of bluff potential pre-flop coupled with the maximum risk protection offered. Any comments here?

Everyone generally has at least $1k in front of them so all-ins occur but are not that common as the minimum rebuy is $500. We play 8 to 10 handed for most of the evening.

How do I adjust to this format and where do I want JFM to sit in relationship to me.

For the record I have beat this game for over $25K per year for nearly 20 years but most of my losing sessions occur when the JFM rule is in effect. Not playing when JFM plays is not an option, you may inquire why if you feel it is relevant to my questions.

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

08-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Be more willing to play pocket pairs and suited connectors and one gappers, since people can't kill your implied odds by raising. This assumes that more people are playing now than usual (I figure you, the maniac, and two others on average in the hands you're entering).

Is he playing every hand? If so, you can raise pretty much at random the hands that you play. If you're going to play a hand, flip a mental coin and decide whether to raise it yourself or let him raise it. This will make you more or less un-readable based on your pre-flop action.

I'm going to assume that he's a pre-flop maniac and play reasonalbly after the flop. Generally, you should try to act after those who play too many hands, since you maximize the number of times you have position. But I'd be more concerned about the other players in the game. If there is clearly a best player at the table, try and be on his left.

Don't over focus on the JFM. Maybe you're losing becuase you're not thinking about the other players enough. If others are ignoring you and focusing on the maniac, look for ways to exploit that.

08-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Our game is this evening and you gave me many good topics to consider. Your assumption about JFM's post flop play was correct he is fairly solid. He just likes to see a lot of flops. I am definately considering the other players change in play, that is what prompted my thread. After 20 years of playing with the same core group I have a very solid line on them except when this rule change is implemented and their pre flop play changes so radically.

Thanks again,

Jimbo