PDA

View Full Version : Nitty-gritty Shotgun Fun

Zeno
01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Had fun during Christmas vacation with the pump action 12-gauge shotgun and found a good way to practice hand/gun/eye/sighting coordination. Good way to get use to fast and quick shooting skills for close combat and other useful defense situations.

I found an old basketball when cleaning my closet and so I took it out into woods and set it against a sloping hill. I then loaded up the old mossberg and at a fair distance started to blast away. The basketball would scoot up the hill some with every shot and roll back down, thus you had a moving target to adjust to for every shot. If you hit the ball every shot and keep moving toward the target or sideways you quickly developed and learn the skills for shooting on the move or 'on the run' with this pump-action shotgun. A most useful skill. I used 71/2 shot and the basketball lasted quite a long time and took a good beating before giving up the ghost.

If you have a number of old soccer, playground or basketballs this is good way to dispose of them and hone your shooting skills at the same time. It is entertaining also. This is a public service post by another friendly and responsible gun owner.

Happy Shooting.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
01-14-2004, 10:12 AM
another thing that works well is to throw a stick in the river. use steel as lead is out of vogue for waterways. this way you get to see your exact pattern on the water. nice to know where exactly your string hit. plus you get all the shooting you want and some of us dont have closets full of stuff we didnt know was in there.

sounds like you are having fun

Al_Capone_Junior
01-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Sounds like fun too.

I always bring my trusty crossman pump with me when I go fishin' at the creek. I always use BBs of course, I almost never shoot pellets, as they are usually made of lead, which as you said, is BAD. Bad lead!

Last year a foam bobber got caught in a tree and the line broke, leaving the bobber hanging there. It's about 25 yards from my normal sitting spot to the bobber. I was shootin' with my bro one day, and managed to hit that bobber twice in a row, no scope, just sights. I have never been able to repeat that feat since. Twas cool tho that I had a witness.

It's amazing how much use and fun I have gotten out of that old crossman. I often shoot real guns too but I have to travel to somewhere with enough acreage to do so as this place is too small.

al