PDA

View Full Version : What B&M limits are comparable to online?

Brain
01-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Hope this hasn't been asked recently.
I'll be at the Borgata next Monday playing my first B&M game. I was wondering what B&M limits are comparable to online play? I'm usually at Party 2/4 or Stars 1/2 or 2/4. Thanks! I just joined and love reading the posts.

CrackerZack
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
play 6-12 if you can afford a 250-300 loss. Its unlikely you'll lose if you beat those online games, but they are comparable if not worse and you'll have a better shot at beating the rake.

Brain
01-14-2004, 02:12 AM
what would you recommend buying in with there? the 300 that you mentioned?

MMMMMM
01-14-2004, 04:19 AM
I'd say 2-4 online is probably comparable to 3-6 B&M, since B&M games generally tend to be less aggressive than online.

Actually I don't even play those limits, but it feels like that would be about the right adjustment.

CrackerZack
01-14-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm usually one who buys in for around 15 BBs and puts another 10 under my chips or have it in my pocket if necessary. Some people buy in for up to 50, if i'm losing that much, its unlikely i'm having fun whether I'm a favorite in the game or not. I'd probaby buy in for 200 with 100 in reserve. If your table seems tough, get up, walk around, look at the others. Most should be soft, so if yours isn't, ask for a table change. The floor staff at Borgata was very accomodating when I was there.

Good luck

jwp
01-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Played my first B&M hands at the Borgata 2/4 game on a Saturday afternoon in December. The game was VERY soft. Cleared quite a bit of money in 5 hours. Truthfully, I would compare it most to the play money games on PokerStars (where I first started). Calculating the pot odds was almost irrelevant since there were so many people calling.

Kickers don't seem to be relevant to the players, most of which seemed to be "TV watchers". You'll also see almost any two suited cards played. It'll be hard to bluff -- too many people will call with anything.

Joe Tall
01-14-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say 2-4 online is probably comparable to 3-6 B&M

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly disagree. As I play equal B&M and digital poker, I feel the 10/20 at foxwoods plays like the 2/4 on Party, now. As the 4/8 plays like a .25/.50 online.

Peace,
Joe Tall

AliasMrJones
01-14-2004, 03:07 PM
I have found B&M limits to play like online limits at about 2-1. (i.e. So, I play 2/4 party and have no problems playing 3/6 up to 5/10. It is somewhat dependent on what the lowest limit offered in the B&M is and, of course, you can find different kinds of tables at at limit. But, in general, I'd suggest looking for a B&M limit about double what you typically play online.

Brain
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel the 10/20 at foxwoods plays like the 2/4 on Party

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I wouldn't have imagined that much difference. Any ideas why? Maybe I should stop over there the next time I'm at my aunt and uncle's in CT.

Redhot_man
01-14-2004, 09:27 PM
do u have to be 18 or 21 to play there?

MMMMMM
01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
"As I play equal B&M and digital poker, I feel the 10/20 at foxwoods plays like the 2/4 on Party, now. As the 4/8 plays like a .25/.50 online."

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, Joe.

It was my impression that the poster was trying more to compare game sizes than game styles.

Anyway, I don't play $10-20 or lower all that often, but I do feel that the $15-30 at Party is about the same size game as the $20-$40 at Foxwoods (because the Party game is more aggressive). So I was just guesstimating that the $2-4 online game was similarly comparable in size to a slightly higher limit B&M game. Of course, I haven't been to the Woods much in the last 6 months, and I hear that it's the REAL Zoo now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So...would you care to elucidate, or to elaborate on the styles you seem to be comparing?

Joe Tall
01-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Fox 10/20 - Party 3/6
Fox 4/8 - Party .5/1

I think the gap is much wider now a days.

I looked over at the 20/40 Sunday to see 2 HORRIBLE players that I've constantly beat in the 5/10 playing in the same game, I couldn't believe my eyes.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I haven't been to the Woods much in the last 6 months, and I hear that it's the REAL Zoo now

[/ QUOTE ]

With 5 tables of 20/40 and a list of 30 on Saturday, you can assure you that the game has changed.

Peace,
Joe

TheGrifter
01-15-2004, 12:20 AM
You have to be 21, but on the weekends in the afternoon it's so crowded with people busting out of tourney that I doubt they'd bother with you.

TheGrifter
01-15-2004, 12:25 AM
I've been down to Foxwoods the last few weekends and have had great sessions. The games were so good even when I was running card cold I couldn't lose. I do have one question though, how do the games compare during the week to the weekend action?

I'm guessing they must not be quite as good, but do you still find the same fishy play at 4/8 and 5/10 (any two will do, call to the river with any pair)?

RollaJ
01-15-2004, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what B&M limits are comparable to online play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry, all games can be compared to eachother

FredJones888
01-15-2004, 04:06 PM
I agree you can't bluff. You also can't slow play anything because you will get at least 3 people all the way to the river on almost every hand and you will just lose money slow playing.

bunky9590
01-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Well put zack!

The Borgata 6-12 plays a lot like the UB 1-2.

The 6-12 regualr game I play in down there is usually passive, but can get aggressive if a couple good players get in the game.

Its gets more aggressive when people get tired of me slapping them around with my raises. THEN, you get some serious action. 5 way flops for a raise. yummy!

bunky9590
01-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I usually buy in for 5 bills, but I always like to be the big stack at the table.

300 is more than adequate.

thequietone
01-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Heads up to Holden. I was playing at foxwoods friday night and a security guard came up and carded the player next to me out of the blue. The player was old enough, but still we were both surprised.

Joe Tall
01-16-2004, 12:29 PM
4/8 is always fishy and the 5/10 is right behind it.

On Monday and Tuesday when they have the limit and NL hold'em tourneys the games are good all around but the 10/20 is sharper but still good.

Wed the 10/20 seems to tighten up and there is at most 2 tables going, the 5/10 is a little sharper at times but still soft.

Thursday is hit or miss, it seems like the 'every other' paycheck people show up Thursday or don't so sometimes it's like Wednesday sometimes it's like Tuesday.

Tuesday is the best day during the week, so many players bust out of the NL tournament quick and jump into ring games. They seem all jucied up from the NL and it gets wild at times.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Barry
01-16-2004, 12:44 PM
My old rule of thumb was 2x B&M vs. online. However I will say that the 5/10 Party is probably tougher now than the 10/20 at Foxwoods.

I like to buy in for at least 25 BB and have another 25 readily available.

prosh
01-20-2004, 10:02 AM
I agree I never seen some one get checked raised turn then river in a row until sitting at borgota's 2-4. Then he asked the dealer "Can he do that" Dealer "Yes that is called a check raise Sir" Any two face cards, and Ace anything . Any type of decent draw will be seen to the river Reading hands is the hardest at this limit because they have to know what they have for you to get a read on them.