PDA

View Full Version : Question on this hand (JJ)-Revised

spydog
01-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Spydog has J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in MP2

EP calls, EP2 and MP1 fold, I raise, MP3 folds, LP1 calls, LP2 folds, Button calls, SB re-raises, BB folds
EP folds, everyone else calls.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, I checks, LP checks, Button bets
SB calls, I call (My notes on the Button say that he is loose-aggressive, so I think he might be trying to steal it), LP Calls

Question1: Should I have raised, folded, or called here?

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, I bet, LP calls, Button folds, SB calls

River: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, I bet, LP raises, SB calls, I call

How should I play this hand?

This is my first post as I am new to Hold'em, but have been reading WLLH and HPFAP.

Thanks

bisonbison
01-13-2004, 04:00 PM
The action in your post is confusing, and I think you're not understanding some of the terms of play.

Before the flop, unless the UTG has just joined the table and posted a blind, it's not possible for him to check. He must either call (limp) or raise. If you did raise, and SB raised again, most people say he reraised or 3-bet.

On the flop, turn and river, if someone opens the action with a bet, we just say that they bet, not that they raised.

If you clean up your post it'll be easier for us to understand what happened.

Jason Strasser
01-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi,

If your read on the button is loose/aggressive, then you probably do have him beat in this situation. He probably either has a low pocker pair, an ace/rag, or just trash.

But there are also 2 other people in this hand =). The way the flop came, there were no flush draws, no straight draws, so you've got to believe that if LP calls the turn, he has you beat. My guess is he has KT or KJ, and is slightly worried about his kicker.

On the river, there is very little point betting. You will either get called/reraised by a winning hand, or he will fold. Check it down. Maybe even check and make a crying call, as I often do...

Of course, I am assuming LP is a tight player--if he is a maniac, please disregard this post!

bisonbison
01-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, having asked for revisions to better understand, I now see that this was a crazy hand.

preflop: good raise. When it comes back to you reraised, calling or capping are both decent options. Calling's fine though.

flop: When the SB checks, bet. You've got to find out where you're at and possibly get someone with an Ace or a Q to fold. As it is, you don't know if the Button is betting cause he has a king or if he's just automatically betting when checked to. It's clear though when SB doesn't check-raise that he's got an unpaired high ace (AQ or AJ) or an underpair to the K (or he's a very loose raiser, which isn't hurting you).

turn: It's hard to believe you have the king because you checked it through on the flop and called the bet. There are no draws on the board and LP is calling along. What do you think he has?

River: I would not bet. No king will fold and a King with a poor kicker, like a T or lower, may raise you.