PDA

View Full Version : Uber Aggressive Pre-Flop Play - Valid or Bankroll Donation?

SacraVia
01-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Last night I was on two good tables (25 NL Party) where a some players were insanely aggressive, to the point you could almost say they were on tilt. Raising 60% or 70% of the time and using their large stack (one had 5x to 10x+ buyin, at one point, and the other 4x to 6x buyin) to just bully people out of good hands. I played the waiting game and just picked at them with premium hands and limping w/ position when they did not raise. I used their raise to check/raise and trap players in between, I ended up for the session, though I lost my stack to a set of 6's when I got one of them allin preflop vrs. my Queens. It was a good night though.

The guy with 5x - 10x buyin stack, lets call him Bob, was alternating his raises from 6x-10xBB to sometimes as high 25BB if he had something. People, amazingly, were just calling his raises frequently with crap cards Axo, Kxo, 22-99, Qxs, etc. He picked on those weaker players just snatching their stacks, tilting them and just destroying them. He was cautious against players that had a clue laying it down frequently though. No fish gave him credit for good cards and he would get paid off well when he had them and even when he didn't. People were playing pocket pairs, pushing all in, when the flop would come with 1 or 2 overcards or commiting their stack with AJo or lower when the board came nasty.

Though you could never be sure what he had, he did have tells in betting patterns which allowed observant players to laydown hands when they were deffnitely beat. But his incesent bluffing made most fish assume he did not have it and scared the crap out of all the weak tights. I had to lay several quality hands down when I just was not sure or I still had to draw to win (AQ/AK)... And that is were he made his money.

So the question is... Is there validity in playing an uber-aggressive loose pre-flop strategy (seeing 40% - 50% of flops) where you come in with a raise (6x-10x BB) w/ most hands in Late position but then play a smart post flop strategy w/ high ratio of bluffs? How much would you need in relation to other stacks to make it effective to push people out, I would assume having everyone covered but by what percentage? Is the propensity for people to commit there stack w/ marginal hands to someone they view as on tilt a good enough edge to make this profitable or is this just me seeing a successful idiot and trying to devise a play from it?

Thanks