PDA

View Full Version : Palo Alto

LaggyLou
01-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Business will take me to Palo Alto for a week or so. Are there any good cardrooms within a reasonable driving distance (say, 1/2 hr.)?

Analyst
01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
In San Jose, south of Palo Alto, you have Garden City and Bay101, both of which are within reasonable driving distance. Which is closer is a function of whether you are nearer highway 280 or 101. Garden City (Saratoga Avenue near highway 280) generally spreads 2-4 through 20-40 HE (sometimes 20-200), as well as some stud. Bay101 (very near the SJ airport) is larger and newer, and spreads HE from 2-4 through 40-80 and/or 80-160; they also play some stud and Omaha. PM me if you'd like any additional details.

North of PA, I think that the closest is Lucky Chances in Colma but I've never played there.

Softrock
01-13-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd echo what Analyst says about the San Jose cardrooms. If you go north the closest and easiest would be Artichoke Joes in San Bruno. Haven't played there in years but there's been a fair amount of discussion of their 15-30 games on the Mid, High-Stakes forum.

J.A.Sucker
01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Palo Alto is the center of the Northern California poker universe - it's like 20 minutes fom many rooms.

Indeed, Bay 101 is your best bet - without traffic (which is after 7 pm, or during the day) it's only about 15 min down 101. In traffic, it takes an hour. Garden City is down the 280, and is about the same distance, though it's smaller and many don't like it as much. However, I suggest you try both if you have time. It's a good contrast of rooms.

North, Artichoke Joes is right next to the airport, and is about 20 minutes from Palo Alto (no traffic, otherwise, it's an hour), north on 101. Lucky Chances is up 280 and is a little further.

You can also go across the Bay to Hayward, but it's a small room and not worth the extra distance.

Analyst
01-16-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Garden City is down the 280, and is about the same distance, though it's smaller and many don't like it as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The facilities are not as nice as Bay101, but the 6/12 at Garden City is loose, loose, loose. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Not that Bay101 is full of rocks, but be prepared to see anything at the showdown at GC.

J.A.Sucker
01-16-2004, 07:37 PM
I personally like Garden City. The games are indeed quite good - especially the lower limit games (the 20-40 used to be the best game on the planet, now it varies between good and terrible, but is usually good). The best part of GC is the hell-hole ambience; it just feels like a place that you would go play a side-alley poker game. The Marni's Chicken is also the only edible menu item there, though, but the free coffee is actually quite drinkable.

M2d
01-17-2004, 05:48 AM
If you're headed north during rush hour, AJ's and LC's are easily accessible from 280 (the other N/S Highway on the penninsula). It's a bit longer, but not hit as hard by rush hour looneys.