PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a raise behind pre-flop

MrG
01-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Since moving from .5/1 to 1/2 on Party, the two things that stand out to me are: 1. more raises preflop and 2. Not as many idiotic caps on the river.

The place I would say I feel most uncomfortable is when I have a calling hand preflop and it gets raised behind me. I really have no strategy or thought process for deciding when to fold or call.
Example, early hand no reads on any players.

EP limps, folded to me, I call in MP with KJs, MP2 calls, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, EP folds. Do I call here? Why or why not? Thanks much.

Joe Tall
01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
If you are playing in tighter games don't limp preflop as much with marginal hands.

1 limper to you w/KJs you should raise.

After that you easily have a call coming back to you.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Rico Suave
01-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Hey MrG:

[ QUOTE ]
EP limps, folded to me, I call in MP with KJs, MP2 calls, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, EP folds. Do I call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is basically always correct to call a raise pre-flop if you have already have put in one bet. Now if it comes back to you 3-bet or capped, I think you can consider mucking your most of your mediocre hands(depending, of course, on position, number of callers, and raising stds of the 3 bettor, etc.).

In the hand you described, call the raise, and if you hit the flop with a K or J, proceed with caution. (which does not necessarily mean check call or check fold).

--Rico