PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a set of Aces, huh?

TBone
01-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Party .50/1, full and great table, very loose and passive cats here.

I'm UTG w/ AA and raise, called by very loose, call everything (lce) to my left, called by another very loose player (vlp), a few others call as well.

Flop comes A 2 4 w/ 2 spades, I have no spades. I bet, lce raises, (been raising and cracking a few of my big hands) vlp 3 bets? Action's on hero, and I cap? I could be behind here to a straight, especially with these two calling w/ anything. Anyone not cap?

Turn comes 2, I bet, lce raise, vlp 3 bets? I considered capping here, but smooth called hoping to trap them on the river. Mistake?

River brings the third spade, I check, lce bets, vlp just calls, and I raise getting both to call.

Ick, or no ick?

T

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
First, cap the flop. Then cap the turn. I'd rather get them to put in the money on the turn (when they'll definitely call one more after putting in three, and call one when I bet out on the river), than check and hope one will bet so I can checkraise. This way, you *definitely* get those 2BB in there, instead of hoping you do. I hope that makes some sense.

WillMagic
01-13-2004, 12:22 AM
You were right to cap the flop.

You definitely should have capped the turn - how exactly does this increase your profits on the hand? You missed 2 BB's here.

You should bet out here on the river. That flush will raise you, and hopefully you could three-bet.

I think you probably missed a couple bets here. You definitely cost yourself two on the turn. Your checkraise worked, but i think if you had bet out you would have gotten more bets.

So put the pedal to the metal. Don't get tricky. When you've got the second nuts, fire at will.

Will

CMangano
01-13-2004, 12:24 AM
I would cap the turn and bet the river. Hopefully you get raised on the river and can 3 bet. The way you played it you got 2bb's from each after the turn call. If you cap the turn and bet the river and they both just call, you still get 2bb's. If you call the turn someone may fold on the river, especially when you check-raise. In other words, you could have gotten the same number of bets with no worries of missing bets. Plus, by capping the turn you give someone a chance to raise your river bet.

WillMagic
01-13-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't really like checking the river here. There's a big possibility of getting a third bet if you lead out - because someone hit their flush and will raise. Plus, in the instance that neither player hit their flush, you'll be certain to get at least one bet from each.

SoCalPat
01-13-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I considered capping here, but smooth called hoping to trap them on the river. Mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're as bad of players as you have them pegged to be, don't waste your time "making plays" on these players. All they do is play their own cards, without any respect to your actions.

I would be raising here whenever possible. Don't worry about the possibility of being behind on the flop -- if you are, you have your 10 outs to improve by the river.

Zetack
01-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Would I have capped the flop? Quite frankly I'm good either way. I might have just called the three bet because I want action on the turn--Ice, who liked his hand enough to raise your flop bet may be a little unhappy about being raised by VLP and if you then cap before he gets to bet again may fold if he has something like A-J (not too likely, but even if he calls two more bets if you do cap he may start questioning the strength of his hand get out of the way on the turn). Of course he will call just one more bet if you didn't cap. It turns out of course he was fine with the capping. And VLP may get cold feet on the pricey rounds if you cap the flop too. (Obviously he didn't, but that's my thinking on the flop)

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with capping, at this point a flush is worrisome to you, and its not a bad idea to make it expensive to anybody drawing to a flush. I'm so skeptical about somebody playing 3-5 that its not a gonna slow me down at this point. If the turn hadn't hit you, and the action was that aggressive on the turn I would've taken the possibility more seriously.

I'd have capped the turn. These guys like their hands, and while conceivably you might lose Ice now to two bets, he's raised you again after the flop got capped. He obviously likes what he has so probably will call if you cap. And of course vlp will call one more bet. If either of them are on a flush draw and don't hit it on the river, you've lost them. Get their money now, and then if the flush card hits, get more. If they already have made hands they like, you still keep getting their money.

You played it just fine, I think, although there are also other ways to go.

--Zetack

Tosh
01-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Cap the turn. They seem sure enough of their hands, you don't have much to gain by 'trapping them on the river'.

Joe Tall
01-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Cap the turn and hope they raise you on the river when they make the flush draw.

Nice hand,
Joe Tall