PDA

View Full Version : playing connectors when one pairs

jdl22
01-12-2004, 07:30 PM
While I know that there are many things that I do wrong, one situation that I am faced with where I have no clue whatsoever how to play is when I am playing connectors and one of them pairs and there is also a backdoor draw. Here's a made up example:
I have T9 and flop comes 3TJ rainbow or 89A. If it matters suppose I have a 3 flush. Also suppose someone bets out and there are a couple callers.

The problem is that I don't want to pay top pair off (or even second pair with a good kicker), but it seems like the backdoor draws although neither are to the nuts make it better than your average second pair.

csuf_gambler
01-12-2004, 08:27 PM
dont play offsuit connectors. only play suited connectors

daveymck
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
If my calculations are correct the following are your odds to improve with 2 cards to go.

15-1 if you have 3 straight & 3 Flsuh to get either flush or straight.

32-1 3 flush to flush

32-1 3 straight > 4 straight > straight.

How you play 2nd pair I guess is down to reads and what the overpair is but you have to play your draws to the odds and number of callers you have.

CMangano
01-12-2004, 08:56 PM
I think this is a call. TPTK has about a 3:1 edge on you at this point. But if the turn comes an 8, a Q, or gives you a 4 flush you will become about a 3:1 favorite, not to mention if you make trips you will be a huge favorite.. The thing is you want to see the turn card cheap. You don't need a free card here since you will only continue if the turn card helps you, otherwise you will fold.