PDA

View Full Version : Poker Coach

08-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a good poker coach. I am mostly looking for someone who can look at my internet hands and make suggestions over the phone, since I don't believe their are any real professional poker players in Colorado. I sent an e-mail to Bob Ciaffone four days ago and he did not respond. This is the type of person I am looking for. A name that I am at least know. Does anyone have suggestions for a coach like this?

08-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Me.

give me your email if interested.

send me a few hands for trial analysis and if you're interested we can make arrangements.

08-09-2002, 08:51 PM
OK,

Maybe, but who are you. What is your e-mail. This may just be a problem that I don't know since I have only been using this forum for about two weeks, but I don't know how to e-mail you. Plus, it would be nice if I knew your name.

08-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Rick,

Steve Badger seems to provide a service like this:

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/

Click on Tutoring (left side).

08-10-2002, 01:17 AM
Why don't you just rewrite a selection of your internet hands and post them here at the appropriate forum at 2+2? What do you play? Small stakes? Medium? There are both here. You might want to avoid the Internet forum here though.

You'll get at least some responses and the content of those replies will give you starting points on how to further explore certain ideas if nothing else.

But don't jusy copy and paste the hands. If you want a decent answer, put some decent effort into making your "hands to talk about" readable.

If you feel you'd get better value by paying an expert email Mason Malmuth or David Sklansky and ask them what they charge, seeing how Caffione hasn't responded yet. No offense to nf of course but if you are going to spend a few hundred bucks or so for an hour's tutelage you might as well get it from the best.

I'm not sure Steve Badger falls into the expert category that you want. He may very well be an expert but why go to a relatively unknown just because he might advertise on his own website.

Best of luck to you. Billy (LTL)

08-10-2002, 02:37 AM
The limits in Colorado might be a little too high for Badger.

08-10-2002, 03:57 AM
Ciaffone just moved into a new house and he is getting his computer set up, so keep trying him. His phone number and email address are the same.

08-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Heh, I was serious and joking at the same time. I would do it if you wanted, but I figured there was about a 2% chance you would be interested in my analysis for money. Especially when it is available for free on the forum.

I thought your criteria for who to evaluate your play was strange. I wouldnt really trust anyone to evaluate my play unless I had seen them correctly analyze many complex hands. Just writing a poker book doesnt really cut it.

If you have The Theory of Poker and can calculate EV you should be able to handle most of it on your own. If you ever get out to vegas maybe consider lessons with david sklansky.

08-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Actually the reason I decided to try to find a poker coach was something I read in a 2+2 book (Inside The Poker Mind, I believe is the title, I can't locate it at the moment). The author was discussing his career in poker and said he wished he had consulted with David Sklansky earlier than he did. In the past I've hired coaches for hobbies such as flying airplanes, SCUBA diving, guitar playing and swing dancing, so hiring a poker coach seems like a good idea. Bob Ciaffone has now replied to my e-mail, and his rates are very reasonable (cheaper than they were for any of the other hobbies) so I'll give him a try. Can anyone else out there share any experiences (good or bad) about poker coaches?

08-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Thanks,

I have an e-mail from him now.