PDA

View Full Version : Flopped trips from the blind--how did I do?

bdk3clash
01-12-2004, 03:53 PM
This was a weird hand, and play on each street was non-obvious--to me, that is. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Comments on each street appreciated, though I think I did ok pre-flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, SB limps, bdk3clash checks

Flop(6 SB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, bdk3clash checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, Button raises, SB folds, bdk3clash 3-bets, EP1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls

Turn(9 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds

River(12 BB): 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls

Warik
01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Play them hard and fast. With two clubs on the board, you don't want to give anyone the opportunity to flush out cheaply. Same deal on the turn with the two diamonds. On the river, the fact that you weren't raised when the 3rd diamond comes out indicates that you probably have the best hand.

If you get out-kicked, so be it. If you got rivered, so be it... either way, on the river I think the only right choice is to bet out and call a raise.

Agreed all?

scotnt73
01-12-2004, 05:04 PM
i agree well played. but if it was a rainbow flop instead of 2 clubs id wait until turn to raise. is this wrong?

jedi
01-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I'd still raise on the flop. Anyone with an Ace will give you the same action.

[ QUOTE ]
i agree well played. but if it was a rainbow flop instead of 2 clubs id wait until turn to raise. is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

daveymck
01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Cant see how you could have played it different you showed strength noone came back at you on the turn and river, if they beat you they didnt charge you and there was no other way you could have extracted more if you did take it down without the risk of giving a free card.

toddw8
01-12-2004, 05:21 PM
I think you need to be absolutely sure someone will bet behind you in order to try a check-raise on this flop. Giving away a free card here is the last thing you want to do with the two clubs on the board. If the flop comes rainbow then the check-raise is a good play, but with a two-suited flop I would bet out to make sure anyone on a draw has to pay to see the next card.

Lost Wages
01-12-2004, 05:32 PM
When I flop trips out of the blinds I am inclined to just bet out. Just betting has several advantages:

1) It makes it hard for opponents to read your hand. Are you just bluffing the small paired board as so many players do out of the blinds? Do you have top pair? Do you really have trips? Checkraising makes it pretty clear what have.
2) It provides cover for those times you do want to bluff a scary flop from the blinds (short handed pots).
3) You are likely to be raised by top pair and then you can make it three or checkraise the turn, depending on the position of the raiser and other players.

Playing the flop as you did, the turn and river are automatic.

Lost Wages

Warik
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... if you flopped a SET it MIGHT... and I stress MIGHT... be OK if it was something along the lines of JJJ-AAA, but with low trips you want to play this fast because there are plenty of hands that could beat you on the turn or river.

You usually don't want to slowplay unless you've got the absolute nuts or the "miracle nuts" i.e. the nuts that will be the nuts unless someone gets a miracle card /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you were playing higher stakes it might be a different story, though. Anybody?

Trix
01-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Id play it the same way as you did, on rainbow i will mostly bet out.