PDA

View Full Version : advice for new player

nolefan21
01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I was hoping some of you could give me some advice.

I am a fairly new player, I've been playing a home game for about a year, and just started playing online in the last couple of months (yes, I loved watching WPT on tv). As my interest has peaked in the last few months, I've been reading strategy articles on the internet. My home game play has improved dramatically, and I have done quite well on low limit tables ($1/$2) online. I jumped into some single table NL tournaments at $5 and $10 buy-ins and surprisingly won about half of the ones I've entered. I've earned a nice little return on my money.

After reading forums like these, I've become a little nervous. I didn't know this many people are so versed on strategy. My question is...at the low limits that I've been playing, should I be worrying about running into players much more experienced and educated in the game than I? I have not read any of these strategy books, etc. At what point do I need to pursue my hold em' education?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

ScottTheFish
01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
I worried about that when I started a couple of months ago too, and people here assured me that 90% or more of the players you will see online at low limits have not read a poker book, or really studied strategy.

After playing a while I agree. Read this forum and post some hands for analysis, and read a book or 2, and you are WAY ahead of most of the fish you will meet online at micro limits.

PYITE
01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
The time to pursue your education is NOW! You may find that your short term results do not reflect your ability. Go to a bookstore and purchase Hold 'Em for Advanced Players. Read and repeat. The book will pay for itself in 20 hrs of play. Protect the bankroll you have built.

LetsRock
01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Well, I wouldn't go into "worry" mode but I'd be aware that they're there. I play mostly 1/2 and 2/4 (occasionally 3/6) on-line.

On 1/2 tables I generally expect there to be 1 or 2 solid players with the rest being total fish or wannabes (trying to learn but not really there yet).

On 2/4 and 3/6, I expect there to be 2 to 4 solid players.

This can vary greatly - I've seen 1/2 tables where 6 or 7 of the players were one's that I'd booked as solid and played in 3/6 where it was open season.

I would guess that it depends a lot on the site. If they don't have a lot of players on-line all the time, the better players will go slumming when their higher staked games aren't running or will play a low level game at the same time they're playing their regular game. A site with a lot of traffic would likely have players sticking to their levels a bit more.

Learn to read the table and figure who's fishy and who's solid and adjust your play from there. If it's not fishy enough find another table unless you want some lessons.

Hallett
01-12-2004, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the rest being total fish or <font color="blue"> wannabes </font> (trying to learn but not really there yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
On behalf of the wannabes, I am not sure whether we are more glad that at least we stick out from the fish /images/graemlins/cool.gif, or disappointed that we stick out from the good players /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

el_grande
01-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Purchase Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones immediately. You must know that book in great detail. You'll probably have to read it 3 times and then re-read it every once in a while.

You can get Holdem For Advanced Players now if you want to check out some of the concepts, but you really should focus on Lee Jones's book. Then when you've mastered that, read all of HEFAP.

After you think you know everything you need to know, read Inside the Poker Mind.

Don't get caught in the trap of buying 5+ books and skimming all of them. You can beat almost any 4/8 game and lower by using the concepts in WLLHE and some common sense about the players at your table.

LetsRock
01-12-2004, 07:05 PM
I see a clear distintion from true fish from those that are trying to play "correctly". If you feel that you're in that class, then take it as a complement that you're trying and do what you can to get unrecognizable. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that some players would put me in the wannabe class. Most of us are still "in training" (if you stop learning, you're meat) so it's just a degree of wannabeness!

Justaloser
01-12-2004, 07:33 PM
After reading forums like these, I've become a little nervous. I didn't know this many people are so versed on strategy. My question is...at the low limits that I've been playing, should I be worrying about running into players much more experienced and educated in the game than I?

Yes, but not to the point it should worry you. Hopefully, you'll be able to identify those players, which won't be THAT many, and adjust your play with them ONLY!
If you feel that there are more than a couple players like that, it may be time to switch tables. But remember, good players at your table doesn't make it a bad table. The lack of poor players makes it a bad table.

? I have not read any of these strategy books, etc. At what point do I need to pursue my hold em' education?

Today, and don't stop. If you think you know all there is to know about holdem, you need to start over. Never stop learning, reading the forums, rereading your poker books, maybe purchasing the occasional new one.
Poker is a journey, not a destination.

Mike Gallo
01-12-2004, 08:50 PM
At what point do I need to pursue my hold em' education?

Right now /images/graemlins/mad.gif !! Every journey begins with a single step. Yours started with a mouse click /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you wish to pursue an interest in gambling, then read Gambling Theory and Other Topics, from Mason Malmuth. Many players want to learn "poker", however many players who learn poker do not have a solid gambling foundation.

If you want to learn about poker,then you should order Hold'em Poker from David Sklanky. Search the Books and software forum for book reviews.

My question is...at the low limits that I've been playing, should I be worrying about running into players much more experienced and educated in the game than I?

You will run into players who will have more knowledge than you, welcome to the poker world.

Good luck and enjoy.

rkiray
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are WAY ahead of most of the fish you will meet online at micro limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but his post belongs in the microlimit forum. Since it's his first one, I won't make to big a deal out of it.

rkiray
01-12-2004, 09:11 PM
If he is playing 1/2, Jones is a much better first choice. Of course if he moves up he will definitely need HPFAP at some point.

bernie
01-12-2004, 10:40 PM
the people who read/post on this forum are a very small percentage of the players youll face. many players, once they read a book, tend to think that the other players think like they do or that 2+2 is this huge deal that everyone knows about. it isnt. the majority are clueless. they'll be more 'experienced'. but that's only in the 'putting the chips in the pot' dept and being used to the basic mechanics of the game.

put it this way, as popular as mason is on here, id venture to say that a great majority of players dont even know who he is, nor would they recognize him if they saw him. same goes for the other authors.

it's never too early to start your holdm education. the more you learn, the more you'll see just how bad most of your opponents are. along with spotting the better ones.

b

bernie
01-12-2004, 10:46 PM
one thing about the wannabes and the ones investing time in their games is that the better players have to adjust to them a little more as their game gets better. the typical fish never really change too much from their normal game.

i try and keep minor mental tabs on those types of players for the next time i may see them. if they come in often enough, that is.

just a thought.

b

John Feeney
01-13-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After you think you know everything you need to know, read Inside the Poker Mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, thanks, I think that should go on the back cover of a future edition. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif