PDA

View Full Version : Playing a missed flop after PF raise

John Deere
01-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi guys,

Well, I've put in quite a bit of time on Party $0.50/$1 tables the past few weeks. I feel like my game has plateaued, and that the next few weeks will be the most difficult time, as I struggle to breakthrough into becoming a consistent winner. Starting with $50, I've been up to as much as $170 and down as low as $13 (today). I feel like I've won small every weekday and lost big every weekend. (Today, I lost a set to a straight, a A-high flush to a boat, in addition to losing AK, AQ, AJ, KK and JJ within a period of 10 minutes.)

In any case, while thinking about holes in my game, I feel the biggest leak is my flop play after raising pre-flop. I have become more aggressive, opening with raises more often, and either folding or re-raising as an alternative to calling two cold.

I never know quite what to do, however, when the flop totally misses me. Do I just let it go? Or do I continue to represent strength, hoping that it missed everyone else also? If I'm on the button, do I bet the flop to go for a free card on the turn?

I know there's no single magic answer, but any thoughts -- especially when in EP -- would be great. Thanks!

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-12-2004, 01:24 AM
This is one of the weaker spots of my game as well, but I'll take a stab at it.

If you're up against one or two opponents, I will typically bet if checked to, or lead out if first to act. The ecxpetion to this is if I'm on the button, in which case I will take the free card 99.9% of the time if checked to.

If you think you are up against opponents who will lay down 2nd pair for one bet, it's worth taking a stab at the pot. However, if you're up against a chasers, or several opponents of any style, I'll typically check/fold in this situation.

Hope that helps.

John Deere
01-12-2004, 02:03 AM
This brings up an interesting point... if you're the button and it's checked to you on the flop, do you go for the sure thing, and take the free card now, or put down a bet hoping to have it checked to you on the turn and get two free cards for the cost of a SB? If you bet, you could be getting check-raised (doubtful at these tables, but if it happens, you may be well to call as you are probably getting odds to draw to your overcards), and it's also possible that you'll get bet into on the turn (stunning how seldom people go for the check-raise) even if you're just called now.

That being said, seeing as how I am generally risk averse, I guess I should take the free turn card if I am lucky enough to get it.

Unfortunately, it seems that I rarely find opponents who will lay down second pair (or third pair) for one bet, two bets, or even three bets. This is so difficult to deal with mentally, knowing that my opponents make money off this even though I don't (as I generally will fold second pair unless there's some other decent draw I have). On the other hand, my opponents are also the type who cap the turn and the river when I have quad-kings, so I guess it evens out.

SpaceAce
01-12-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, it seems that I rarely find opponents who will lay down second pair (or third pair) for one bet, two bets, or even three bets. This is so difficult to deal with mentally, knowing that my opponents make money off this even though I don't (as I generally will fold second pair unless there's some other decent draw I have).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opponents don't make money off of this. It may look like it in any given session, but they don't. Stubbornly holding on to second or third pair is a losing proposition. You, however, ARE making money from this. You are collecting from their mistakes and saving money by not making those mistakes yourself.

SpaceAce

ggano
01-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I agree that in the general sense, you make money in the long run off of opponents who stubbornly hold on to second (or third) pair. But more specifically, the times when you make money off of them are when you hold top (or second) pair, not when the flop misses you.