PDA

View Full Version : I have turned into a river rat.....

Mike Gallo
01-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I had this hand earlier today at the Borgata. Both hands took place at a good $6-$12 game. I decided to throw up a rare two hands in one post. I rivered a set of 10's for one of the hands, and I rivered trip 10's on the other hand. Both of these hands demonstrate how I have loosened up on my post flop decisions and to attempt to "play poker". I had a very tight aggressive image at the table.

Hand number one

Three limpers to the cutoff who raises. I call with 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif The other players all call.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

It gets checked to the cutoff. He bets, I call everyone else folds.

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I lead out, my opponent calls.

River 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, the cutoff says, did you river me again and calls. He had A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hand 2

Five limpers to me in the big blind and I check with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, folded to a mid position player who raises. Everyone folds I call.

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check my opponent bets, and I call.

River 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, my opponent shakes his head and calls. He showed one Ace and then mucked the other card.

I thought of going for the check raise, however I did not think he would bet the end.

Vehn
01-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Hand one is played terribly. You need to checkraise the flop if you're going to play on. Given that you didn't, betting into him on the turn is AWFUL. Against non idiots there's a very good chance you'll get popped by a better hand and you have to call with your flush draw. Ugh.

Ed Miller
01-12-2004, 12:53 AM
You should raise the flop. Just calling is a big mistake.

Mike Gallo
01-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

It appears after reading your input along with Vehn's I really buthered hand one.

A check raise would make more sense, if I wanted to play the hand on, I agree.

Vehn, you also make sense about betting the flush draw. I thought I could win it right there. Good thing the 4th club didnt hit, I would have gotten crushed.

The things I learn. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ed Miller
01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Ya.. the preflop raiser promises nothing with his bet more than that he still has the same two cards he raised preflop with. When the pot is as big as it is, and you have the chance to face the field with two cold, raising is clearly the correct play.

If you had check-raised the flop and not been 3-bet, I would bet the turn for sure. If you got 3-bet, then I'd check the turn and call a bet.

Your opponent happened to have the perfect hand, leaving you drawing to two outs. Don't let that discourage you, though... he will generally either have you beat or have a bigger flush draw, not both. The pot is way big enough at this point to make calling a turn bet automatic with your hand.

BTW, your opponent was a major weenie for not raising you on the turn. But most people are major weenies, so I guess that should not surprise me. Actually, I don't dislike your turn bet as Vehn does. If your opponent is a strong player, then it is bad. But if he's gonna just call with his hand, then bet away... what do you have to fear?

Mike Gallo
01-12-2004, 01:17 AM
But if he's gonna just call with his hand, then bet away... what do you have to fear?

Nothing, thats why I bet. /images/graemlins/blush.gif