PDA

View Full Version : Am I really learning anything from Micro Limits?

chim17
01-11-2004, 10:32 PM
To preface this is not a post saying that I'm good at all, or that I need more competition. In about 2,000 hands I'm up about 300 BB's at .50/1 and without a doubt it was due to one night having a miraculous run of cards.

However, it feels to me that the things I'm learning how to beat the low limit game would not work as well at the higher limits. I constantly see posts saying "in these micro limit games you need to do this" or "well ya, this is an easy call in these micro limit games".

I guess I'm just worried that the things I'm learning to be successful now doesn't translate so well to what I need to do at higher limits. The game seems quite different. My somewhat loose calling standards seem to work extremely well here; and that seems to be a lot more player dependent at the high levels.

I'm by no means a good player yet, just worried that the habits I'm learning now (which are winning thus far; although this is an admittedly small sample) will be stuck with me and not work at the higher limits.

Comments?

WillMagic
01-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Certainly, there is a different style of play at higher limits. But unless you have the fundamentals down pat, you aren't going to succeed, and micro-limits teaches you fundamentals i.e. how to beat a poor player.

Once you can beat a poor player, then you can start learning to beat a better one.

So keep grinding.

Will

bernie
01-11-2004, 10:45 PM
if you saw the game slavic and me were in the other night at 10-20, youd think it was microlimit. those loose types of table textures arent 'just' in the LL. when they do come up in higher limits, wouldnt it be great to know how to extract the max from them?

slavic and me agreed this was a night that wouldve been good to be a coke addict to stay up with them. now if i couldve just gotten some more frickin starting cards...

b

Webster
01-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Well - I've played in 5/10 games at a B&M with 75% flops! Nice to know how to play those!!

If you have won 300BBs why not go up a notch!

Dylan Wade
01-12-2004, 12:08 AM
You gotta constantly re-evaluate the way you play your hands. In doing this, don't be satisfied with "because so-and-so says ..", but instead try to prove with some authority why your play is right. Even though you may play like a winner by simply mechanically following the advice of good players here, if you don't understand where the advice comes from, you're not learning anything.

So if someone says something like "do this at micro-limits". It's more important to understand the reason behind the statment than simply remembering to incorporate it into your play.

At least, this is how my learning process works.

Trix
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Im up 3xx bets too, but still feel i can learn from these games. On the other hand, if u never think u make a mistake or only very few, then go ahead and move up if u have the bankroll for it.